Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pre-school/playgroup and a 2 year old?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My daughter is in a Caritas kindergarten and is very happy. All the children start in the September of the year they are three. (My son born in April started at 3 years 5 months and my daughter born in November started at 2 years and 10 months.) A list of their schools and nurseries is at http://www.caritas.org.hk/f5/f5.html

When my daughter was in K1 she only got homework at the weekends. (This was actually a source of upset for her – she wanted homework like her older siblings.) The homework was mainly colouring, sticking and pre-writing skills. For example the page would have a number of cars at one side with roads to a house. The children fill in a line going from the car to the house.

Now she is in K2 she has started with very simple Chinese characters, the alphabet and numbers. The school teaches in Cantonese but also has English and Mandarin lessons. Each week she has two books to take home, one in English and one in Chinese – the parents are expected to read these to the child – not the child read them.

There are two types of local school: traditional ones and activity based ones. The Caritas kindergartens are activity based ones.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Discoverybay is offline Banned

Hi mom's,

I am also living in DB and have a cute 2 years old son and he is not talking yet! and I know it is a bit early to put him into a play group alone with other kids, BUT I was told by the expertise (doctors) that to put my son into the groups, so he can learn interactive with others kids while they are play together. Also, I noticed that my son is very happy there and they have schedules for a little one. Such as paintings, singing and story time...

aaa
    aaa is offline Registered User

barbwong,

I have that Caritas is good as the teaching method is lively. However, what do think about the English and Mandarin standards of children studying in this Group? I am also thinking of sending my kid to Carita.

Thanks
    Angel

svasbt is offline Registered User

Discoverybay:

May I ask in which play group your son is? It sounds really nice. Is a parent required to be in the class?

Thank-you.

Slee is offline Registered User

Smile

This isn't much help for the DB mums but for everyone else my 24 month old daughter is going to a Woodlands Preschool playgroup. We are both having so much fun playing with the ever changing toys, singing and 'shaking' and my daughter is making the most amazing pieces of art on her own (parents and helpers are asked to encorage the child while they do it themselves). Each month there is a different theme and the central admin. will send out appropriate toys for that subject.

We go together three days a week for two hours and she'll stay in this class for at least another four months. After that, she'll be old enough to move into their Stepping Stones class where parents gradually stop staying for the whole session. There seems to be no rush to make parents change to Stepping Stones. However, knowing my daughter and how much she loves her teachers I doubt she'll be at all annoyed that I'm not there :-)

If there is a Woodlands near you I would seriously recommend you attend a trial class. Feel free to remove the next comment Rani. We also tried out Babybuddies upon other friends' recommendations but didn't think much of the teacher (quite flat). Apparently she's now left and the new teacher is even worse so all the friends who used to rave about it are removing their children. After seeing the contrast betwen our daughter's teachers it is really amazing how different quality of education our children can get from different facilities.

To the DB mums, you have now put me off moving to DB until our daughter is at least three! Could you please tell me which schools are the best for three years plus? I've heard good things about the DBIS preschool but not so positive opinions about Sunshine School (nothing bad, just nothing very good). I hear there is also a place called Discovery House. Thanks in advance for your help.

svasbt is offline Registered User

Slee:

The 2 "schools" that accept children from the age of 2 are Sunshine House and Discovery Mind International Play Center.

Junior will go to either one of these 2 schools in a few months, and we're still not sure which one. We have heard contradictive feedback from parents of both schools, so it's individual preference really. Both of them are in the Plaza, so location-wise, they're the same. Both schools require uniforms.

Our very own experiences:

Sunshine House's receptionist/administrator was extremely helpful. The school has an outdoor area, and rooms are bright. Most children are English-speaking. They take note of when you would like to have your child start school, and will contact you closer to time. This incurs no fees.

DM's receptionist/administrator was not as impressive. I wish it was a language barrier rather than her attitude... Anyway, the place is brand spanking new, having opened the door this month. The rooms have no windows, and we didn't see any outdoor area. The school has an Open Day on December 4th, 10-12 hr., if any of us would like to check it out. You may list the child's name with them for $50, and that doesn't mean you'll get the session (a.m./p.m) you want. Most students are Chinese-speakers, and at the time we were there, the teachers were talking to them in Chinese. This is supposedly an International school where English is the medium of instruction.

To us, the only advantage DM has over SH is it offers part-time, meaning 2 or 3 days a week, 3 hours a time. That's a great way to start off a 2-year-old who has never been anywhere without parents/guardian.

I personally asked Junior's (HK Chinese) teacher at the community center whether she has any comments about these 2 schools. She said that the locals seem to prefer DM as it's more academic. However, she said that all of the parents of her students that went on to DBIS have been extremely pleased, and she has never heard a single negative feedback.

DBIS accepts the children only in September after they have turned 3, or almost 3 if they have space. Ideally you would have to list your child as early as the day s/he was born to get a seat there. The debenture is quite high too.

DB is a great place for kids. A lot of our friends who have moved back to their countries said that it was good to be home, but DB was better for their young children. We hope to welcome you here one day.

Discoverybay is offline Banned

Hi Svasbt,

My son is attending Anna"s class at Greens, you may call her direct to find out the details: 9744-3339

Anna is great with kids and she is organizing all the kids programs as well..

DB

Mellie is offline Registered User

I have been sending my daughter (now 2) to "daycare" (no parents) a few days a week since she was 1 year and 3 months. Initially, we put her in because we were living in Japan, had no family and were about to have a new baby, and my husband is a pilot and away alot (enough said?). Sooo, to give me, the baby and my daughter a break from one another, we decided to send her to this wonderful daycare. It was the best thing we ever did. She has learned sooo much. Yes she has learned a bit of spelling and counting,(not to mention Japanese) but more importantly, she has learned social skills, at her level...through interacting with children of her own age. It has had a great result when it comes to being around her little brother as well. She knows how to play with other children and is used to sharing, so we rarely have any problems at home. She is really good when playing with him. Her and I need a break from one another now and then and this is a great way to get it. I find she is a much happier little girl when she is attending a few days a week without mommy...and her little brother (will turn 1 in Jan) is a bit happier to :) I find also that I feel refreshed and energized when she comes home and end up spending more quality time with her...I think it has good effects all around.

Anyway, I'd loved to get them both in somewhere a few days a week....anyone know of places in DB that accept kids around their ages??

Mellie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast