Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Choosing a Kindergarten

sky123 is offline Registered User
    My child is only 4 months but I have also been considering which schools we would like him to go to etc. already. I have heard that the more popular local kindergartens are St Catherine's and Kentville. They apparently have a high acceptance rates at some of the better local primary schools. I've heard that the English and Chinese levels at these schools are quite good but that the teaching system is really intense.

I reckon that since kids have such a great memory maybe it is best for them to have an intense Chinese education before their brain starts to deteriate. I know that trying to learn Chinese at my age is so hard.

ggrizzy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by fungyuenyan View Post
    Hi ggrizzy. You mentioned your son studied in Sunnyside Kindergarten. Can you tell me more about the school, teaching method, atmosphere, and application? I have asked this in the forum, but it seems nobody knows.
    Thanks,
    Maria
    dear maria,
    sunnyside is really good for my sons. my elder son is graduating this june and has already been accepted by kowloon junior school (my first choice!) the school is old, small, but the children are happy. you can't compare with st catherine's or kentville or other local kindies coz they cater to ESF junior schools. don't expect your child to know how to add or read words but you can be sure they know how to sing, to count, etc... guess the only thing to consider is whether you really want to go the ESF route or the local route ... my younger son is also studying there and he also loves going to school! they use interactive teaching and the classes are very cozy... i've seen some new mothers hang around the school around 11:50 to try to interview some other parents collecting their kids from school for first hand information so u may want to consider that!

hope this helps...
    ggrizzy

fungyuenyan is offline Registered User

Choosing a Kindergarten

Quote Originally Posted by ggrizzy View Post
    dear maria,
    sunnyside is really good for my sons. my elder son is graduating this june and has already been accepted by kowloon junior school (my first choice!) the school is old, small, but the children are happy. you can't compare with st catherine's or kentville or other local kindies coz they cater to ESF junior schools. don't expect your child to know how to add or read words but you can be sure they know how to sing, to count, etc... guess the only thing to consider is whether you really want to go the ESF route or the local route ... my younger son is also studying there and he also loves going to school! they use interactive teaching and the classes are very cozy... i've seen some new mothers hang around the school around 11:50 to try to interview some other parents collecting their kids from school for first hand information so u may want to consider that!
    hope this helps...
    ggrizzy
    Dear ggrizzy.
    Many thanks for getting back. My primary is to have my girl in a complete English environment, and are paving the way to ESF. Coz she may go back to San Francisco in her later primary/ secondary schooling. Ggrizzy, from what you experience in Sunnyside, how can we enroll and when do we enroll? Do I need to wait for her age of 2 year 8 months? How is the connection between school and parents? Can we call to visit the school?
    I look up Sunnyside in a kind of kindergarten profile mentioning Sunnyside playgroups and Sunnyside Kindergarten. Are they different?
    I am looking forward to hearing from you more about Sunnyside.
    Many thanks,
    Maria

sunnyside is a very casual school. they will take any child as long as they are not full. sunnyside playgroup is what they call their first class (for children aged 2yrs 4mo and up). KG1 is the next class that they move on to and then on to KG2. after that they will attend ESF primary school (subject to passing of the ESF interview - which is basically an english comprehension test only - they won't test any reading/ maths/writing etc. i heard from my elder son (who was just interviewed last week) that the teacher reads a story and asks the children answers, they are asked to draw a picture and they are also asked to play with toys to see if they can share. from my understanding, if the child can communicate in basic english and can execute simple orders, then you're all set!)

i believe that the transition from sunnyside to kowloon junior is also very smooth but i have yet to find out!

if you let me have your email, i can send you the application form as i just got one for one of my friends.

cheers
    ggrizzy :crib

Dear Ggrizzy.
    Thanks very much. My email: [email protected]
    Kind regards, Maria

411needed is offline Banned
    Robinson Road + Fortress Hill + Cranbrook, UK
    on page 2 someone mentioned montessorri (bad sp?) on caine road, my baby sister went there quite a while ago (like 10 years ago now??).. but i do n she still does remember clearly that there wasn't a day that she wasn't looking forward to skl... they have a caring and happy environment and it was quite fun & interesting in general, u'd be glad to know that they provide a quite protective/ safe (don't all skls?) environment, i.e. there's this great big gate outside so no cars are near the building... unless authorized, i also rmb the teachers' surnames were quite amusing like coffee (diff sp) or something.. but ya maybe it was just a nickname!
    in conclusion of my

sunnyside is closing down :(

for those who are considering enrolling their child into sunnyside, it's unfortunate that they just announced they will be closing down at the end of june :( it's very sad as i was expecting my younger son to attend their for 2 more years before going to primary school! now i have him enrolled in the ymca kindy in tst (but at twice the fees....)

good luck to u all...

sunnyside is closing down :(

Quote Originally Posted by ggrizzy View Post
    for those who are considering enrolling their child into sunnyside, it's unfortunate that they just announced they will be closing down at the end of june :( it's very sad as i was expecting my younger son to attend their for 2 more years before going to primary school! now i have him enrolled in the ymca kindy in tst (but at twice the fees....)

good luck to u all...

Hello ggrizzy.
    Do you know why they close this June after running for years? Many thanks, Maria
    -_-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast