Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Child repeating a year at Kindergarten??

shaz is offline Banned

Child repeating a year at Kindergarten??

My son is going to have to repeat kindergarten somewhere (likely k3) before he starts primary. he is in K2 now but should be in K1. anyone had experience with this and what did you do about it. thanks

cari is offline Registered User
    shaz,

Which kindergarten did your son go to in K1 & K2?

The answer to your question depends on whether you will send him to local or international school. They all have different age requirement.

cari

shaz is offline Banned
    k1 was local
    k2 international

i am considering a local english speaking primary school - where they start at 6.
    so my son needs to repeat somewhere - im thinking repeat k3 in another school maybe!!!!!!

he is 4 in january 2005.

If you apply for local primary school throught the government, your son needs to be 6 by 12/31 in order to get in P1 that year. As you know a lot of primary is going private, they may accept your son if he is only a few days younger. My daughter will be 2 in Jan. so I have done some research. I was thinking if I should take her to nursery in Jan. when she turns 2 or wait till Sept. when she is 2 years 9 mths.

Did you say your son start at K1 when he turned 3 in Jan. and supposedly he needs to repeat K1 the coming Sept. but then he got accepted by another kindergarten in the Sept. for K2.? Can you tell me the name of the 2 kindergartens so I may try to do the same for my daughter?

Cari

shaz is offline Banned
    Yes, my son started at a local kinddie Fung Kai (in the second term of Feb) when he turned 3 in January. They said he could reapeat K1 again at their school the next year. But by then i had gathered that my 'mixed' boy wasn't enjoying this enviornment too much so i changed his school and put him in K2 of his current kinddie (Anchors) international section where he is thriving (their k1 was already full by then). I may be able to get him in earlier to primary, sure, which would be great. Like those DSS and private ones are some what more flexible, def. not going to local one.

These days since the birth rate has dropped its not a problem coming and going in different schools and most schools you'll find will be happy to have such an arrangement.

Shaz,

Thank you for your information. My daughter is in playgroup now. I have not applied any nursery N1 for her in Sept 2005, by then she will be 2 yrs and 9 months. I may try your way by putting her in K1 in Jan. 2006 and then change to other kindergarten for K2 in Sept. 2006 then K3 in Sept. 2007. And hopefully she will get into a private school in Sept. 2008.
    Can you keep me posted on your son progress in getting into promary school earlier? If I get more information, I will let you know too.

Cari

svasbt is offline Registered User
    Hi there!

We live in D.B., and Junior (who was born in Feb. 2003) is listed at DBIS to start Nursery in Sep. 2006 (3 years 3 1/2 years old). We're happy with that as we think that's a good age to start school. However, the students at DBIS only have 2 years of kindergarten (Nursery and Reception) before entering P1. Does that mean he will miss K3 completely? I just don't quite comprehend the different systems here. If we decide to move him to another school after Reception, does it mean that he would have to go to K3 first?

Thanks so much.

shaz is offline Banned
    Cari - sure will keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast