Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dha, Epa, Omega 3

Jane Lee is offline Registered User

Smile Dha, Epa, Omega 3

HI,
    I learnt from some of the pregnancy web sites and doctors recommending mom-to-be to take DHA especially from the last 3 months of their prenancy. However, my own doctor says this is not proven and he will not recommend any particular brands to me. Does anybody try to take DHA pills during prenangcy and will this have any impact to the baby? Does DHA really works? Which particular brand and where to buy? Jane

rani is offline Administrator
    I'm no expert in this, but DHA is added to a lot of baby formulas and is known as the IQ booster. I haven't heard of women taking DHA pills during pregnancy or is it Cod Liver Oil?
    Last edited by rani; 11-14-2004 at 11:03 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Research has shown that DHA in breast milk has the effect of increasing the baby’s IQ. However, all the research to date has not shown the same effect when DHA is added to formula milk.

Understanding nutrition is more complicated that just the ingredients you also have to take into account how those ingredients are used by the body.

The reason that DHA is added to formula milk is because of ‘media hype’. For a long time Nestle didn’t add DHA to their formula with the reasoning that there was no research to show any advantage. They now add it – not because the research has changed – rather because their market share was dropping because mothers now believe that DHA will improve the IQ of their babies. But if they really want to improve the IQ of their babies the best way is to breastfeed them.

shalom is offline Registered User

Taking DHA and EPA during pregnancy

dear jane,
    like you, i read a lot about this and i am also interested in giving the best to my baby. i asked my obs about this and he said there are no proven theories that it makes the baby smarter but he said there is no harm taking it. i searched in the pharmacies in hong kong for DHA and EPA and omega fatty acids products and found most of them are for adults, with no specification for pregnant mothers. then i saw an advertisement on the UK pregnancy magazines about MUMOMEGA that is specially formulated for pregnant mothers. i checked out the website (www.equazen.com) and found that it is quite safe to take. i suggest you go to the website and read all you can first, and if you are happy with it, try it. i am trying it now and i am 28 weeks pregnant. i can't tell you whether it is effective or not because the baby is not even born yet. unfortunately, you can only buy this either in UK itself or via internet order. i had mine delivered from UK. so far so good, i am not having any bad reactions to it at all. tell me what you think after you have visited the website. all the best.

shalom :lovedface

Jane Lee is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot

Eli
    Eli is offline Registered User
    Hi Jane,
    I took Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids in the form of Flax Seed oil during my last three months of pregnancy. I believe it has helped my baby as she was very alert as soon as she popped out. Of course this could have been due to other reasons but she was able see things from very early on and did not have that dazed out look some babies have. She was also very strong, being able to support herself on her arms when face down. I continue to supplement my food with Flax seed oil – either with capsules or just the oil drizzled over my food. As I am exclusively breastfeeding my baby I am hoping my baby will continue gaining the any benefits these essential fatty acids are said to provide. I preferred to take the flaxseed oil to the fish oils because I was told these could contain for contaminants from pollution as these tend to accumulate in the fishes fatty tissues. You can buy the oil from Great or Citysuper. It is a bit on the expensive side so if cost is an issue you may want to consider eating plenty of fish or flaxseeds and getting the benefits that way.
    By the way, I see that you’re in Braemar Hill and so am I. If you want to get together to chat some more then send me an e-mail ( [email protected]). I would love to make some new friends in my area.
    Elisa

Fafa is offline Registered User

Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Hi all,

I have not heard of taking these during pregnancy. But I do recommend to take it after giving birth and thereafter as Omega 3 fatty acids are from those deep sea fish like salmons, sword fish, etc. It helps to maintain the health of your blood vessels, and thus reduces chance of heart diseases. Latest research proves this kind of acid helps your skin in anti-oxidization. Thus, good for your skin. In fact, some of my friends do give it to their kids to increase better their immunization system.

Cheers,
    Fafa

marciaxu is offline Registered User

Positive Prenatal Nourishments

I have been reading alot on this subject and a DVD documentary by BBC actually confirmed that Omega 3 enhances synpase connections in the brain ehancing the child neuro-development. If you are interested in this subject, I would recommend that you also look-up materials offered by Glenn Doman, Shichida, KinderU, Babyplus.....

All of the above academics and products relates to prenatal and early education which enhances a child's mind. I am personally doing alot of reserach on prenatal education :-) Let me know what else you find out

Marcia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast