Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Angioma - Dr. Kenneth Hui

Sara is offline Registered User

Angioma - Dr. Kenneth Hui

Hi!

Our boy has angioma (a.k.a. Haemingioma) and was referred to Dr. Kenneth Hui for a minor surgery. Anybody has experiences with angioma or Dr. Hui to share please?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Sara; 11-24-2004 at 01:31 PM.

Fafa is offline Registered User

Haemangioma

Hi there,

I think you are concerning what we called "strawberry birth-mark".

My 2 little ones have that since their birth. I was also very very worried when the first one appeared on the head of my eldest daughter after 2 weeks from her birth. It started to get all over the face, body, etc. I have been running around, visiting a lot of paediatricians, and even sent her to Queen Mary Hospital for check-up in the first year.

I was told that it would disappear after first b-day and latest by 4 years old. They were very lucky. Both of them started to have them faded out right before their first b-day. And in fact, my paediatrician once told me that we could take them to do "laser" after they turned 6 if the marks did not fade out.

No worry and relax!

Take care,
    Fafa

Hi Fafa!

Thanks so much for your reply and reassurance. In our case, the angioma first appeared when our son was about 19 months old. It grew at an alarmingly speedy rate, and within 3 weeks it was a size of a small pea. It was blood red in color, and very clear.

This was a collection of protruding blood vesssels. Two doctors and two dermatologists later, we were assured that it was absolutely benign, but not totally harmless. Because it's in fact blood vessels, if it was trickered to bleed, it would bleed profusely. That's when it becomes a health issue.

All physicians that we saw recommended that we wait until the boy is older and the angioma stops growing before having it removed.

Our son was first aware of it when the angioma was about 5 weeks old and still growing. He started pulling on it, prompting it to change color and shape overnight! He must have pulled on it while he was alone in bed. We knew then that we had to have it removed ASAP.

Another doctor referred us to Dr. Hui. I trusted him the first minute I talked to him, but you know... being a parent, you always want a confirmation that he is indeed the best surgeon there is to operate on your child. Laser can remove the angioma, but will leave the blood vessels open, thus prone to infections and a recurring angioma. Dr. Hui suggested that we have it removed surgically.

The process will be quite short. If we started at 8 a.m., we probably could go home by noon. The thing is the boy needs to fast for about 6 hours prior to the operation. That bit is hard to cope...

Anyway, the operation has been scheduled and we're going ahead with it. Wish us luck.

Sara.

Fafa is offline Registered User
    Hi Sara,

I am a bit surprise to learn that your son is so aware of it cos my sweethearts never scratched nor paid attention to them. In fact, my second one has a BIG patch on her thigh which I have been handling with it with a lot of care esp not to allow her to fall. Otherwise, like you said, it might cause a non stopped bleeding.

Anyway, if you have decided, just leave it with your Doctor. Will keep your family in our prayer.

Pray to God and you will get it! And I already :cheerlead :cheerlead :cheerlead :cheerlead have the miracle that my honey have them disappeared after 1 year old.

Take care,
    Fafa

Thank-you, Fafa.

I think one of the reasons our boy is aware of it is because the angioma first appeared when he was already 19 months old. Had it had always been there (since birth), he would probably not have paid attention to it.

We know this is a very minor operation in the eyes of the surgeon. But to us, it certainly is not. Oh well... I'm sure we're in good hands.

Thanks a lot once again.

Sara.

Scroll to top