Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mandarin Montessori for 2.5yo

yanmama is offline Registered User
    Hi run4fun,

Just FYI, there'll be a Mandarin playgroup trial session at Hilltots (Tai Hang Road) this coming Saturday, Sep 2, from 10-11:30am.

Yanmama

run4fun is offline Registered User
    Hi Yanmama,

Thanks for informing me. A friend of mine is interested and I believe she has contacted Antione already.

Cheers.

Dear Alice,

It's almost impossible for me to sum it up in a few words, but I will give it a try with some help of the information on the internet.

The Montessori method is both a methodology and educational philosophy. It was originally developed in the early 1900s by Dr. Maria Montessori as a way to educate poor children in her native Italy.

Montessori approach is quite different from traditional appraoches. For example, lot of parents prepare tons of things to teach their children (which in turns imposed them on the kids, even it's out of the best intention). But rather than choosing for the babies, why don't parents encourage and motivate the children to learn on thier own. Children are curious by birth. It's most effectiv ethis way too. They are interested and eager to learn tons of things to survive. They will enjoy best what intetest them most. Our goal is: Help them to be on their own.

Also, Dr. Montessori believes that personalites is molded ataround the age of 3. If we give a child lots of confidence and a safe environemnt that encourages him to learn and explore, he will grow up to be confident and in love of learning. Isn't it ture that our past experiences make us who we are today?

Dr. Montessori also believes that human beings have "window period". So for example,child bearing ability or lactating ability only occur at certain period in life. After that we lose those abilities. During the window period, children are most receptive to that stimulant. For example, window period for language skill is at around age 3. After the age of 5, whatever langauges that the child learns will onger "mother tongue", and learning languages won't be as effortless as before. They will have accents.

They should be able to make their own decision within a have "window periods". There are stages when thier minds are most receptive to certains things. Once they passed that stage, they lose the ability of learning that skills.

These are only a glimsp of her works. For more info, I highly recommend that you check out some books to read about her.
    Last edited by run4fun; 08-29-2006 at 02:27 AM.

As for Pros and Cons, not everybody accept the Montessori way. Dr. Montessori have mix age classroom. Children have lots of educational material to work with. They could select what they like to do first or last. They are given freedom to choose within certain big guidelines. But what comes with this Freedom and Choices are - responsiblities. So as we let them make their own decision, along we must teach them their responsibilties. So at early age, you could already see children in a Montessori classroom help setting the table, mopping the floor. They help out and they tidy up after themselves. Making responsible decision for themselves, classroom is extremely orderly most of the time.

Some people say that it will be hard for Montessori chidlren to fit in regualr classes. One main reason is : They sometimes get bored waiting for the teachers to assigne them things to do.

Depends how you see things, at some ocaasion, a parent might find a child with "no discipline", while another parent might think the child is perfectly reasonable with disciplined.

The thing that I like about Montessori teaching is because it is a more holistic approach to teaching. She does not focus on say flash card alone, or phonics alone. She pays attention to a balanced overall developement of a child. she cares about the personalities and who the child will become tomorrow.

Since I have used the Montessori method on my son, he has major improvement. He used to rely on the nanny to do quite a lot of things, and now he starts acting more responsibly. At the age of 5 1/2, he is fluent in Madarin, English and Cantonese. He has mastered at least 6 digits of mutiplication, subtrations carrying the digits over. And I never dream of he could master and actually undesrtand the definition of terms like" percipitation, condensation, percolation". I didn't have to force him, I only let him play some matching games. Whatever you do with them, have with lots and lots of patience. You know that once you get them going, you can't even stop them.

Of course, my sons still has tons of areas that he needs to work on, but unlike before where I don't even know where to start and how to start, I now learned to pay more attention to observe him and leanred how I could motivate and encourage him to move ahead.
    Last edited by run4fun; 08-29-2006 at 03:07 AM.

talk2amy is offline Registered User
    Anyone know of any Cantonese speaking montessori pre-schools?

syuan is offline Registered User
    I believe there is a Mandarin Montessori school in TST called Best Concept, but don't know any details.

Tong.kate is offline Registered User

Montessori -Cantonese

Hi,

There is a non-profit making Kindergarten offering Montessori playgroup in Kowloon, cost HKD1000 per month, 3 times a week, 1.5 hours each. The program start from Oct 2007, Tue, Wed, Thu pm 1:30-3:00pm
    From Jan 2008, the session will be 2.5hours.
    Maninly Cantonese only.

They do offer brief reports and CD for each month.

Graceful Christian Kndergarten
    tel: 22164106

They accept Child from 19 months.

Check it out.

Tong.kate is offline Registered User

Montessori -Cantonese

Hi,

There is a non-profit making Kindergarten offering Montessori playgroup in Kowloon, cost HKD1000 per month, 3 times a week, 1.5 hours each. The program start from Oct 2007, Tue, Wed, Thu pm 1:30-3:00pm
    From Jan 2008, the session will be 2.5hours.
    Maninly Cantonese only.

They do offer brief reports and CD for each month.

Graceful Christian Kndergarten
    tel: 22164106

They accept Child from 19 months.

Check it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast