Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Child Care in DB

Mellie is offline Registered User

Child Care in DB

Hi ALL!
    I am moving to Discovery Bay this January (finally..). I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old and am in desperate need of child care. My husband and I don't want to hire a helper at this point and are wondering if anyone can suggest some places for us to send the kids a couple of days a week. My husband is in training and I will have a house to unpack....enough said. If anyone has any suggestions...please reply.

Thanks!!
    Mellie

Jen Spain is offline Registered User

Child Care Centres

Hi Mellie,

Attached is a list of occasional care centres that was supplied to me a little while ago when I posed a similar question. They are by locality and am not sure about locations in DB - hope it comes in handy and the move goes smoothly. For more info, it is provided by the Hong Kong Social Welfare Department, go to: http://www.info.gov.hk/

Regards,
    Jen
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Jen, I'll check it out...also found some info on another thread...do you know where you're moving to yet?
    Mellie

Jen, thanks but couldn't open, not even from the original website...oh well...the search continues...
    Mellie

Jen Spain is offline Registered User

Child care

Hi Mellie,
    i tried to send you a private message - anyway, my email address is [email protected]. feel free to drop me an email and i'll forward the document to you.
    We arrive in HK in January and have a place to stay initially in Shatin. My husband will be teaching at the Australian International School in Kowloon so we're hoping its convenient.
    I plan to "do the rounds" at all the creches in the first month or so to find one that will suit Ally.
    Hope all goes well.
    Jen
    Last edited by Jen Spain; 12-13-2004 at 04:26 PM.

kiwimum2b is offline Registered User
    Hi there!

I can reassure you that DB has an inexhaustable supply of stuff for kids to do! There are dozens of playgroups - most are for 18mths-3yrs but there are a few that take 1 year olds. It would be better to wait until you're here and can visit some of these groups and/or get recommendations from other parents because they're all run quite differently - some are just a babysitting service, some focus more on music or art, and some offer the full montessori experience. We have a local magazine that comes out at the beginning of the month and there are loads of ads for childcare.

Also, where in Nova Scotia are you from? I lived there for a year when I was a student.

Cheers,
    Nikki

Hi Nikki,

I live in Halifax...well, Dartmouth really, it's the twin city to Halifax. Where did you stay? Thanks so much for your info, I really need to line something up before I go so I can unpack the house....my husband will be working, and there's just me, so I need the kids to be occupied. My husband is in HK right now, so he'll check out the places before we choose.

Do you have anything you would recommend or heard good things about??
    Mellie

Kate is offline Registered User
    Your 2 year old could go to most of the playgroups unaccompanied, however as far as I know there are no playgroups that will take a 1 year old without having a parent/helper there with them. You can find a list of the playgroups at :
    http://www.dbfleamarket.com/cgi-bin/...num=1088577315

Some of the playgroups are run in peoples houses and could maybe help you out by looking after your youngest for a few hours alongside your 2 year old, but the more structured ones (sunshine house, DMK etc) will probably not do this.

Most playgroups have waiting lists so I would start calling a few now in the hope that some children may be leaving at Xmas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast