Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Part Time Helper - Advice Wanted

Shipps is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Arrow Part Time Helper - Advice Wanted

Hi Everyone,

I need a little help.
    I am going to India for my delivery and would be back with my kid.

I was talking to friends and they all said that I will need a helper. I do agree with this but I dont want a live in helper. Part time help I can think of.

If I opt for part time help I was wondering what will be a good idea.. To have them at home for full day or ask them to come for half a day?
    I don't have too much of work in the house and don't think I can keep her occupied for full day so the option that comes to my mind is half day help.

But this is all what I am thinking....would appreciate if you moms could give me tips. I am not working thus I can really be around with the kid.

Any tips would be appreciated.
    Any idea on how much would be the monthly cost for hiring part time help for a half a day ?

Fafa is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    My suggestion is to have a FULL TIME maid (philippino) esp if you have a new born at home. Don't think that you are superb. I often advised my friends that my pleasure time is to spend with my kids for fun and not for the donkey work like washing the bottles, diapers, ironing, etc etc.

Don't rely on hubby as he needs to work and will feel very very tired during the weekdays. He will get fatigue if he needs to start working again on early moring of w/e.

That's my advise! As long as you treat the maid as your family member, there is nothing to worry!

Good luck!

Fafa :cheerlead

jools is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    Hi Shipps,
    This is my experience. We came to Hong Kong and I was pregnant with my second child. My husband wanted us to have a helper, to assist with the housework. I said adamantly' "No!" The conversation then went something like this, "OK I'll have a part-time helper", "OK I'll have a full time helper but I don't want them living in", "OK I'll have a live in helper, but she's not doing any of the cooking". Needless to say I now have a full time, live in helper, who does all the cooking, as well as everything else in the running of the house. I can now spend real quality time with my children.

If this is your first child. You will need as much help as possible with the household chores so you can focus completely on the baby and get sleep where possible. Again if this is your first child, you don't really know what's about to happen to you. People will tell you that you are going to be tired and exhausted, but you don't really know how completely tired you will feel until the baby arrives, believe me. If this is a second/third child then you will appreciate a helper taking the burden of the housework so you can spend quality time with them and not have the thought of the dishes or the ironing in the back of your mind.

Take it from someone who has been converted to the idea of a helper, get a full time one, it could be one of the best decisions you make whilst you are in Hong Kong

Good Luck