Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding baby

Avi is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Breastfeeding baby

I'm having trouble breastfeeding my baby. I don't know if anyone has encountered this sort of problem. My problem is that the first instance I breastfeed my baby when my breast is engorged, she has no problem latching on and everything is fine. But somehow after a few minutes she unlatch and then once my breast has been emptied a little (making it softer) the baby has trouble latching again. I know she wants to eats, but she can't seems to get a good latch. When she doesn't get a good latch, she'll end up choking and spitting up. What to do? It's starting to get frustrating especially in the middle of the night.

scr is offline Registered User
    The first thing that came to my mind after reading your post is that you could be having a very forceful letdown and your baby is finding it difficult to cope with the flow of milk...maybe that's why the choking and spitting up. In such cases it is recommended that you express some milk to slow down the flow and try again. I'm no expert and haven't experienced this..this is just what I remember reading !
    Good luck

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Dear Avi,

I am one of the La Leche League Leaders in Hong Kong (a breastfeeding support group). It is difficult to be sure of what is happening from your post I’m happy to discuss the situation further on the telephone, my number is 2548-7636.

When your baby pulls away from the breast, can you see milk in the baby’s mouth? Also when the baby is feeding happily and latched on can you see milk in the corner of the baby’s mouth?

If the answer to these questions is yes, it is likely that you do have the forceful let-down that Scr mentioned. There are a number of things that you can try. Expressing the first let-down instead of letting the baby have it is an option. Although many mothers find that the baby then chokes on the second let-down.

Changing positions to allow the baby to breastfed “uphill” with his head and throat higher than your nipple. In the football hold, you can lean back. In the cradle hold, you can prop the baby in your lap on two pillows and lean back in a rocking chair or recliner. Another position is laying flat on your back with the baby lying on top of you. This way if the baby gets a mouthful of milk that he can’t swallow quickly enough all he has to do is open his mouth – much better than choking and getting upset.

Sometimes when a baby don’t stay at the breast the mother might be tempted to hold the baby’s head to keep him on the breast. This can however cause more problems. Babies need to be able to come off as needed to breathe. If they’re forced on the breast when they’re having problems coping, they may develop a feeding aversion and begin refusing the breast. If you think this is the case it is important that we discuss the matter directly.

Is your baby gaining weight well?

If not then this feeding problem is an indication that the whole management of the breastfeeding needs looking at and again please contact me directly.

If however your baby is gaining weight well but still fussy at the breast you might like to try restricting your baby to one breast for a period of time before switching to the other side. If the side that you aren’t feeding on gets too full express a little so that you feel comfortable but not a whole feed.

When a mother changes her feeding in this way the baby will get more milk high in fat and gradually her milk supply will decrease to a position that the baby is able to cope with.

Another idea is to increase the frequency of nursings, i.e. nursing the baby immediately upon waking, burping frequently and avoiding all pacifiers and supplements. In many cases the problems associated with a forceful let down are a result of a combination of characteristics of both the mother and baby – a mother who naturally has a fast flow of milk and a baby ho has difficulty coping with the flow. Nursing immediately upon the baby’s waking – even before the baby is fully awake, if possible – can be helpful because the baby may suck more gently in the relaxed state, making the flow of milk slower and reducing the likelihood of the baby gulping air.

If you don’t think that this information is appropriate for your problem please contact me because it is difficult to know without more information if this is really your problem. But remember there are many strategies and little tricks that can help the breastfeeding go more smoothly so it is worth asking.

Best wishes,

Leaders contacts:
    SARAH 2548-7636
    MAGGIE 2817-7475
    [email protected].com