Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Were you alone during labour, public hospital??

carang is offline Registered User
    that's not strictly true... if it is a planned c section they are allowed... however, if it is an emergency c section, they are not...

alice is offline Registered User
    hello, hkaussie,
    I am back. I gave birth to my third child last week so I can't online for a short period.

I beg my doctor for induction this time because I perfer monkey to rooster. And I didn't tell my husband before as I know he will never agree to have such abnormal treatment . I phoned him when I knew the baby was sure to come. ( do you think i am crazy)

Well, I think I will be more tough if my husband is not with me. Some of my friends agree so, while some are not. They want to hold their husbands' hands when during the pain.

When I was registering, I saw a husband walking in and out the labour room and asked the nurse to call the doctor. But the nurse checked his wife and it was not the right time. It strongened my thought that husband can't do anything during the pain besides calling the nurse. I just want to see my doctor when the pain came because only he can help me to deliver my baby.

It is just my experience, you must stand for your mind that your husband must come with you in the labor room. Don't let him have choice so that he can prepare himself well to stay with you and support you.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I wasn't alone during labour because I laboured for a long time at home before heading for the hospital, so upon admission I was already dilated enough to go into the delivery suites at QMH and delivered 5 hours later. A lot of people would be too nervous to do this, but I was reassured by my mother's presence because she's a doctor and has delivered babies in the past! So she could monitor my labour. You can also hire a midwife to perform this function such as Hulda from Annerley Midwives or someone from Everdawn Midwives. This also ensures that you can labour in the comfort of your own home where you will be more relaxed than in hospital and hopefully the labour will therefore progress faster. Unfortunately my labour still didn't go quickly, but at least I avoided (IMHO) unnecessary clinical interventions because I'm sure if I had been in hospital for 36hrs without delivering they would have wanted to give me induction drugs or a C-section for lack of progress.

Regarding policies at QMH. I did find it almost impossible to find out accurate information about what they will or will not permit. Everything on my birthplan that I was told was impossible ended up being possible. (Drawing up a birthplan is highly recommended so that all the staff, through however many changes of shifts, are very clear about your preferences.) Maybe I was lucky in the flexibility of the staff on duty at the time. But I think in general it's a waste of time to ask the medical staff about the "policies" in advance because in my experience they make exceptions to every rule. They don't like to agree to those exceptions in advance because they don't want to encourage hoardes of people to do the same thing. It was definitely a waste of time asking people at the Tsan Yuk - everything I was told there was totally inaccurate. Your best source of information is probably forums like this!!!

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Laboring alone?

I had long latent phases of labor, so on the day my second child was born, I checked into PWH, even though I was only about 1 cm. dilated, because I wanted my Entonox!

I was by myself for a few hours that way - just pacing and reading and taking my gas during my contractions.

DH popped in and out (we lived near the hospital). Down in the delivery suite he kept me company a bit in the begining, then I sent him out to supper (just me and the midwives). When I was in my last very active phase (in about 45 minutes I dilated 8cm) he helped me walk about. The midwife sat aside because she could see that we were fine by ourselves. It was only when I told him to tell the midwife I felt like I wanted to push that she became more involved. But that's the way we wanted it, I am sure if we had wanted or needed more support from her, she would have given it. All my friends who have given birth in public hospitals (without their partners) said the midwives were very helpful and supportive.

carang is offline Registered User
    i had an emergency c section on feb 12 at QMH...much to my chagrin, i was not allowed to have my hubby with me...as a matter of fact i started crying on the operating table that i wanted him with me, but due to my health complications, they refused. i couldn't understand it as i tried to expalin that i'd be much more relaxed if they let him in... anyway, to make a long story short, he was allowed in to see me once they moved me from the recovery room to a labour room (they put me in one instead of transferring me back to the ward because my blood pressure was throught hte roof and they had a nurse/midwife with me the entire night) around 5 hours after the surgery!!!!
    when all is said an done though, the staff that performed the operation were terrific, esp. the anesthesiologist(sp?) and his assistant(she actually spent most of the surgery wiping the tears from my eyes!)

and after all, the end product, my beautiful, HEALTHY, baby boy is worth any discomfort that i felt at the time!

Slee is offline Registered User
    Cara, you poor thing that is so mean. I know they have their rules but surely if your blood pressure is through the roof they'd do anything to keep you relaxed!!! I'm glad everything worked out alright though and you've got your little boy.

My husband was locked out from me all night when I was in labour, but at least I knew I was alright and neither of us were in danger at that stage. Unfortunately I was to be induced so never got to wait at home, which was my plan throughout pregnancy. In any event, we all got to go hokme eventually and now have great medical insurance in case we have another!

intrigue is offline Registered User
    I had my son in December 2004 at Queen Mary and I wasn't alone - but as the baby's father was in Australia a friend came along and she was allowed to do so because we had a letter saying she had come to classes with me

however if you have an emergency C section you are not allowed to be accompanied in the room

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12