Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ezema

a_chan is offline Registered User

My baby daugter (3M) is also diagnosed of eczema. She has rash on her face, and the skin in her body is rough. Doctor also advised to switch formula to HA ones. And use Oilatum Bath Oil and QV cream. He also gave us some cream for the rash.

Kind of worry, cos' I've heard that some case may turn to asthma when baby grow up .....

alice

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Alice,

Unfortunately eczema is also called skin ashtma, so yes chances of having ashtma is higher than other kids. But my pediatrician told me to just try to prevent the ashtma from "flaring up", so bottom line is it is sometimes preventable. Hope things work out for you and your baby.

hunhun is offline Registered User

My son used to have severe eczema, but now it's all history. Below is what we did which worked on him. Hopefully this provides some pointers to some worried parents:-

Food:-
    (1) We took our son to do a allergy test at which they basically did some form of blood test, and found out foods that he is allergic to. In our case, we found out that he is allergic to chocolate (artificial ones especially Dairy Farm chocolate ice-cream, he will get a fever straight after if fed), nuts.
    (2) This is an old wise tale, but we also avoid giving him "seedy" fruits, eg, strawberry, kiwi, papaya...better safe than sorry!
    (3) Tried to avoid MSG. We found out that the soya sauce in Steam Fish dishes is extremely bad.
    (4) Formula wise: Nan HA
    (5) My grannie insisted on this, and somehow, it worked like a miracle (maybe a combination of everything though)....use barley water in lieu of water when preparing the formula from time to time (ie once a week, once every other feed...entirely up to our convenience)

Bathing and Moisterising:-
    (1) Make sure water is not too hot (very important!)
    (2) We used Cetaphil (a non-soap bathing liquid available at Mannings and Watsons) to wash hair and body
    (3) after using Cetaphil, we poured Pinetarsol solution (anti-itch) and baby oil into bath water and soaked baby for a little while (also available at Mannings and Watsons)
    (4) then we immediately dried baby with warm towel and smeared E45 cream (only available in UK, we got ours from Boots) all over baby's body.
    (5) Used Elidel (prescription necessary) only ever so thinly everyday until baby's ecszema got clear. Then we only use it whenever extremely intoralable bad patches appear again. (Don't be afraid to use it everyday at the first instance, it's better than starting and stopping and changing the treatment<-won't get better)
    (6) Bathe him once a day, no more, no less

General envoironment:-
    (1) Keep surroundings as dust-free as possible, only limit to a couple of soft toys around baby
    (2) Dressed baby with 100% cotton undershirt
    (3) Winter - we would rather dressed the baby a bit more, rather than turning on the heater, especially at night (dry up skin)
    (4) Summer - we avoided dressing him too much (damped clothings soaked with sweat may be bad as well)
    (5) Laundry - we seperated baby's clothes from other members of the hosehold, and used baby laundry liquid (available at ParkNShop, Wellcome etc)
    (6) We also got some very mild anti-histamine from baby's doctor which we can feed baby with, whenever we think that ezcema is "coming back".

Hope the above work for your little ones too! Good Luck! Remember, during the "change of weather" time..like now....eczema is prone to appear. But it will get better once the weather stablise, so don't get too worried...

Slee is offline Registered User

Hunhun, I've seen E45 cream in Watsons and Mannings!

Our daughter has developed dermatitis before from fabric softener - a common irritant according to our GP. Now, we only use Comfort Pure (white bottle) and Dreft laundry detergent which is available from Gateway.

hunhun is offline Registered User

Really, they sell E45 in Watsons and Mannings again? (apparently they stopped importing E45 a while ago). Will definately go and check it out. Thanx Slee!

Fafa is offline Registered User

My best friend's son now is 8 and has very serious eczema since he was born. Every night, they boiled water with brown bar sugar (sugar cane). His son started to enjoy as he realised that he would not feel itchy after taking the bath with brown sugar water and had a good sleep. This is the very traditional Chinese medication. Believe or not!

Also pls look for a cream from NuSkin. It is also good for those suffering from red, scaly, itchy or rashy skin conditions. It is the Epoch "Calming Touch".

Last edited by rani; 04-15-2005 at 10:52 PM.

jwang is offline Registered User

Just a heads-up: Protopic and Elidel have both been recently linked to cancer.

malini is offline Registered User

hello

hi there,
    my 3 mth old also developed eczema,i was advisde by my ped to chge the formula to NAN 1which is hypoallergenic and also use AQUEOUS cream after bath in lukewarm water without any soap.use only cotton wear washed in mild detergent and use CETAPHIL moisturizing lotion if skin feels dry,all available from your ped.it helps.
    goodluck.
    malini.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top