Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

German Swiss International School - interview tips for 3 year olds ?

Wineglass is offline Registered User

My little one has been called for an "interview" at GSIS on the Peak soon.

Please would anyone have tips on how to prepare the little one for such an important interview ? I understand being able to speak English well is one thing they are looking for. There is no information on what other skills or qualities the school is looking for and what the little ones might be asked to do.

Help please ? thank you !

Wineglass, Mid-levels

shaz is offline Banned
    when my son had an interview at the age of 3 at another school it was his spoken english and his ability to identify colours, shapes, ABC's. at 3 i can't possibly imigine the interview being too tough, but then again this is HK for you,

adachan is offline Registered User

Hi Wineglass,

How was your little one's interview at GSIS ? Could you share with us the interview contents ?

Does any mummy out there have the same experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wineglass
    My little one has been called for an "interview" at GSIS on the Peak soon.

Please would anyone have tips on how to prepare the little one for such an important interview ? I understand being able to speak English well is one thing they are looking for. There is no information on what other skills or qualities the school is looking for and what the little ones might be asked to do.

Help please ? thank you !

Wineglass, Mid-levels

csy
    csy is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone,

I have been doing school visits for these past 2 weeks and it seems difficult to decide which int'l schools should my son apply to. I have been to Canadian Int'l, CIS and will go to GSIS school visit in mid-Nov. Could someone give me some comments on these schools?
    I want my son to learn how to write and speak chinese(mand)..

yaffle is offline Registered User
    Hi csy,

I teach in the international school system (high school English teacher) and if you want your child to learn Mandarin, I'd recommend taking a look at Kingston International Primary School and Kindergarten. I don't work there so I'm not trying to sell or advertise anything, but I know the head, have toured the school, interviewed its students, and reviewed its bilingual English-Mandarin curriculum.

The three things I really like about the school:
    * focus on the whole kid, not just academics and not just play, with a particular emphasis on developing thinking skills
    * it's genuinely bilingual in English and Mandarin, not just an English school that offers Mandarin lessons.
    * it's the only primary school accredited in Hong Kong to offer the International Baccalaureate program, which is much much better than the local HK system, the British system, and the North American (U.S./Canadian) curriculums. I was born in HK, educated in Canada, married to a Brit, teaching in an American school so I have personal and professional experience of the different school systems. If we stay in HK, we'll be looking for an International Baccalaureate school for our child (though, since we're not rich, I'll probably have to get a job in the school so that our child can get free tuition).

Here's the website with contact information:
    http://www.kingston.edu.hk/eng/index.php

adachan is offline Registered User
    Any parents out there who have children that have been accepted and currently attending GSIS Kindergarten or Primary School ? Appreciate if you could share your experience with the school, both Academic and overall. Thanks.

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    Hi Yaffle,
    it's been a number of years- have you since change your mind re kingston? I am in the midst of considering this school. Also, do they place equal emphasis on writing skills in mandarin as well?

Quote Originally Posted by yaffle View Post
    Hi csy,

I teach in the international school system (high school English teacher) and if you want your child to learn Mandarin, I'd recommend taking a look at Kingston International Primary School and Kindergarten. I don't work there so I'm not trying to sell or advertise anything, but I know the head, have toured the school, interviewed its students, and reviewed its bilingual English-Mandarin curriculum.

The three things I really like about the school:
    * focus on the whole kid, not just academics and not just play, with a particular emphasis on developing thinking skills
    * it's genuinely bilingual in English and Mandarin, not just an English school that offers Mandarin lessons.
    * it's the only primary school accredited in Hong Kong to offer the International Baccalaureate program, which is much much better than the local HK system, the British system, and the North American (U.S./Canadian) curriculums. I was born in HK, educated in Canada, married to a Brit, teaching in an American school so I have personal and professional experience of the different school systems. If we stay in HK, we'll be looking for an International Baccalaureate school for our child (though, since we're not rich, I'll probably have to get a job in the school so that our child can get free tuition).

Here's the website with contact information:
    http://www.kingston.edu.hk/eng/index.php