Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cost of HK baby

ny_to_hk is offline Registered User

Question cost of HK baby

My husband and I are considering a move to HK from NY and we need info on the cost differences on baby items (we will be coming with a two month old infant). His employer is arguing that everything for the baby is cheaper in HK than the US (so wants to reduce COL package).

We need to know what costs are like for basic items--baby clothes, diapers, formula, toys, baby furniture, strollers, books, babysitters, over the counter meds., etc. Are they really cheaper in HK than in the US? Also, are groceries cheaper in HK? (Employer says so!) We don't want to sign on to a package that ends up putting us in debt because we were misinformed about what costs to expect! Any and all info is helpful, but we need to get info ASAP!

TIA! -J

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi J,

Have a read through this thread on GeoExpat on Cost of Living

http://www.geoexpat.com/moving-to-ho...ng-kong-style/

And here's another on having a baby in HK

why do people say it is expensive to have a baby in Hong Kong?
    Last edited by rani; 02-06-2005 at 08:18 AM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

jane01 is offline Registered User
    You could compare food/baby needs prices from the websites of the major grocery stores in HK:

www.parknshop.com

www.wellcomehk.com

Good luck

ayanas is offline Registered User
    Hi

We too had our daughter in the US and came here when she was two months old. The above posts gave you great references to look up but from our experience, most things related to the baby, have been more expensive here than in the US (we are from CA and i think NY prices might be a little higher). To give you a quick run down on the items you are looking for:
    baby clothes: brand names more expensive, local brands about the same. Though in Stanley name brands are supposed to be cheap but i'm not sure if they are knock-offs
    diapers: same
    formula: We started our daughter on a formula in the US that is not available here. We dont want to switch formulas so we have to order it from the Foreign Buyers Club (www.fbchk.com) which is double the price and shipping has been quite unreliable.
    toys: cheaper in US and much bigger selection
    furniture: cheaper in US unless you buy local HK brands
    strollers: cheaper in the US
    books: also cheaper in the US
    babysitters: a LOT cheaper in HK
    OTC meds: cheaper in the US. A lot of the US brands are not available or are found under a different name. Though vitamins are much cheaper in the US

Hope this helps! If you have more questions or need more specific information, post it on the site and i'll try to give you a quick reply!

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ayanas
    books: also cheaper in the US
    Ayanas,

Have a browse through the GeoBaby Book Store. Our products are priced at the publisher's list price and is 20-30% cheaper than bookstores in Central.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Cost of baby in HK & Expat vs. Immigrant

If you go to Fa Yuen Gai in Mongkok you can get very good bargains for baby and kids clothes. Cheaper than in the USA (also don't forget you are not paying sales tax as you would in many places in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanas
    Hi
    baby clothes: brand names more expensive, local brands about the same. Though in Stanley name brands are supposed to be cheap but i'm not sure if they are knock-offs
    diapers: same
    toys: cheaper in US and much bigger selection
    furniture: cheaper in US unless you buy local HK brands
    strollers: cheaper in the US
    When I bought a stroller, it was cheaper and lighter than in the USA.

I think the question is - are you buying at "Expat" only places, or are you buying at local places. Of course it will be more expensive than "home" if you buy at Expat targeted places. Or not just expat places.

I've been looking for a new tie for my son (he likes to wear ties, odd in a 7-year-old, but at least I don't have to argue w/ him about getting dressed up for occassions). Anyway, it's hard to find a nice tie for a little boy and finally DH and I found one in Taikoo Shing for HK$ 189. DH refused to buy it, he said the price was crazy. I said "But it's the only one we've been able to find, and I looked hard before X-mas too!" He said no, I pouted, but agreed.

Last Saturday we went to Fa Yuen Gai and bought 3 very nice ones for HK$10 each. I sang "You were right, oh so right!" to him.

If you are living in a place, it makes sense to buy the local furniture and eat the local food. If you lived in NYC, but only bought food and clothes and baby furniture imported from (say) Germany, of course it would be more expensive. If you lived in the USA and bought toys from FAO Schwartz rather than Target, of course it would be more expensive.

I think the reason so many expats feel that HK is so expensive is because they are afraid to live like a "local". Maybe it's because they are scared of the language and cultural differences, so can't or won't explore less expensive or trendy options.

I think the thing to do, to adjust happily to living in HK if you come from abroad, is to not live like an "expat" but to live like an "immigrant".

If you think like an immigrant, then you try to fit in to the new society, and learn to adjust and try new things. So, try and live like a local, it's cheaper and more convenient and opens you up to new ideas and experiences.

shri is offline Administrator
    >> I think the reason so many expats feel that HK is so expensive is because they are afraid to live like a "local".

AMEN!

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Expats are "afraid" to live like a local. I find that patronising attitude extremely insulting.

I think the main reasons expats prefer to live like expats are:

* "expat" types of food, clothing, furniture, whatever is part of our culture. We miss our family and friends living here. Who are you to criticize where we shop? Can't we have a little bit of home with us? We can certainly enjoy the local culture from time to time, but it isn't what we are.
    * There are language barriers at "local" shopping places - the signs are in Chinese and often the only language spoken is Chinese. Try going shopping somewhere every day where you don't understand the language and see how you like it !
    * There are hygiene issues in local stores - I am particularly referring to wet markets. Personally I would never buy meat from a shop without proper refrigeration. That is my personal choice.

Hong Kong is consistently ranked as one of the most expensive cities in the world by independent surveys.

Now, when I meet HK born friends in Australia would I ever insult them because they want to shop or go to restaurants in Chinatown? NEVER ! I would never expect them to give up their culture. Of course I respect their culture. Pity you can't do the same here. HOW RUDE !
    Last edited by jane01; 02-07-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast