Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Public Antenatal care

Hkmuma is offline Registered User

Public Antenatal care

Can anyone tell me how they found antenatel appointments at QMH or Pamela Youde? and did they find any majoy differences in terms of tests and screening that would be carried out by a private doctor? apart from the obvious costs

HK Muma

Last edited by Hkmuma; 02-07-2005 at 08:19 PM.

rani is offline Administrator

I went to Tsan Yuk and saw a private Dr. Major difference the Gov't only do a total of 4 ultrasounds vs a private Dr who would do one at every visit. So instead of an u/s the med students measure your bump every month, its pretty funny.

In terms of other testing, blood etc all done at the same time as a private Dr.

Tsan Yuk was also very thorough in gathering my family medical history and when they discovered that both my parents are Diabetic they scheduled a Gestational Diabetes test ASAP.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Hi Rani

Thanks for the feedback when you say you saw a private doctor does that mean you registered as a private patient? and Did one of the u/s include the detailed scan at about 20 weeks?

Thanks

HKMuma,

I was seeing a private Dr in Central and close to my 3rd month I started spotting. The Dr scared me to death and wanted to put me on hormones and even tried to tell me that I wouldn't be able to carry D full-term. As we live 5 mins from QM I decided to register myself at Tsan Yuk as a general patient. In case of an emergency I wanted my medical records to be in the QM computer system.

I switched private Drs as well. Basically I went to 2 antenatal appts a month (private and Tsan Yuk). Once I passed 37 weeks I stopped going to Tsan Yuk and continued with my private Dr. D was born at 41 weeks, no hormones and we had a normal delivery.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

JennyB is offline Registered User

Just to clear up any confusion, Tsan Yuk is the hospital (it no longer delivers babies) that handles all the antenatal appointments for patients intending to deliver at the Queen Mary. If you don't have any complications, you won't be seen at the QM until the onset of labour.

Once you have registered in the public system, you can choose one of the many local clinics to have most of your check-ups. I must say that the appointments were quite time-consuming and I found it difficult (but not impossible) while I was at work, but if you're not working and take something to read then you'll have no problems at all. It's mostly only once a month until you get to the late stages of pregnancy.

I also paid to have a couple of scans done privately, just to provide reassurance that all was well. This is also advisable if you want to find out the gender of your baby because the public hospital scans don't officially do this unless you happen to notice it or they are being especially friendly. The private ob/gyn will also have a bit more time to point out things to you, and I got photos and even a CD to send to the grandparents-to-be! All things of course that are irrelevant to the health of your baby, which the public system checks very adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyB
    I also paid to have a couple of scans done privately, just to provide reassurance that all was well. This is also advisable if you want to find out the gender of your baby because the public hospital scans don't officially do this unless you happen to notice it or they are being especially friendly.
    I guess we were lucky, cos they told us the baby's gender. Also if you'd like a pitcure of the u/s, you need to pay for it advance. I think it was $200 something.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

carang is offline Registered User

i've had excellent care (for the most part) in the public system... i'm going to be delivering next week after being hospitalised 4 times throughout my pregnancy.

the doctors are VERY thorough! but keep in mind that Queen Mary is a teaching hospital, and so you may from time to time be confronted with a clueless med student...keep your cool and ask to speak to the doctor in charge of your case.

there's one doctor that i've come to know though all of my visits, and i really really like her, i'm a little disappointed that she's not the one who'll deliver my boy, but the doctor that will probably do it is quite good too.

as for ultrasounds, i've been lucky. because of the complications with my pregnancy, the dr that i really like asked me very early on if i would be interested in taking part in a study...what did i have to do? go once per month for a 3D ultrasound scan so that she could watch the development of the vascular system of the placenta! so, i got 6 free 3D scans (she gave me photos each time!) each scan was worth about $1200!!!

before i knew that i'd be doing this study, i had the 12 week scan at tsan yuk and had to pay $290 to get one photo...ah well, my boy is the most photographed child ever (and he isn't even born yet!!!)

good luck!

Hello

Thank you for all your feedback I'm going to try the public antenatel care appointments and see how it goes probably along with a few private ones if I feel the need. Great to hear how most people seem to think the actually public care with regard to you and and the baby is very good.

I have had two previous babies in HK through the private system and I have to say even with private care I have spent a good deal of time sitting around or have had appointments deferred, although I imagine its a bit worse in the public system due to amount of people.

One question I am still not totally clear on if you register in the public system and have your antenatel appointments at one place, can you still choose any public hospital?

Many thanks
    HK muma