Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

flying with baby

kayla is offline Registered User

flying with baby

we'll be flying with our baby to the US in March and he'll be 11 months old at that time. it'll be a 20 hour trip as there's going to be lay over in Tokyo. i really need some tips on how to prepare for the travelling. our baby hasn't liked bottled baby food very much, so how can i pack his meals for him? i don't want him to end up only consuming milk for the whole of the flight. also, is it advisable to bring bottled water, for during the flight and also the first few days after arrival or is that not much of a concern? also, how difficult is it to change nappies on the plane?

i would really appreciate your comments and suggestions. thanks in advance.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Flying w/ a baby

I wrote this a few years ago.
    http://home.ust.hk/%7Elbcaplan/hkbb/flyingbb.html

As for the food part. If he doesn't like bottled food, what does he like? Bring it along.

When my kids were about that age they ate a lot of Cheerios, small bits of bread, rice, cheese (the single pack "string cheese" were popular), various bits of meat, etc.

They also ate Gerber rice and wheat cereals. I think I put the powder into ziploc bags and brought a plastic bowl and baby spoon and a thermos of hot water - mixed it up like I did at home, and fed them.

Yoghurt?

If you haven't bought the tickets yet, consider skipping the stop-over in Tokyo. Every time I have done it, I have wished we hadn't, just prolongs the agony.

Continental flies directly to the East Coast, others to the West. If you're going to the mid-West, I think United flies non-stop to Chicago.

thanks. your article is really helpful. unfortunately, we're flying to Dallas which doesn't hv any direct flight from HK. he really likes homemade food which is a lot of mashes and thick purees, so i'm thinking whether i should freeze some and bring it on the plane in a cooler bag and then ask for the flight attendant to nuke it when it's time to feed. but, i've forgotten about rice cereal, which i think he still likes. that makes me feel a bit better. the thing with yoghurt too is that it probably doesn't keep very well outside of a fridge.

Mellie is offline Registered User
    I recently flew to Hong Kong from Toronto, Canada with my 2 year old and 1 year old!! I was also a flight attendant few years back. So I have a bit of experience too.

The first long haul flight I went on with my daughter was when she was 9 months old. Halifax, NS, Canada to Tokoyo, Japan. She basically slept for 3-4 hours with a 1-2 hour break in between. When we got into the time she'd normally be in bed for the night, she slept for almost 6 hours. I also asked for the bulkhead which accomodates the airlines bassinets...very helpful, but check the airlines weight restrictions on them, they're all different.

And they say light meals for a long haul trip is best, for everyone. My daughter and son didn't really eat alot as much as they drank. I took along some yoghurt and fruit leather..sometimes called fruit on the go...as well as some cookies, cheese sticks, crackers and formula for my son. They provide meals for the kids if you request them ahead of time. But they are bottled....so not sure this will be of any benefit to you. Their diet on the flight over was not ideal, but it was better than trying to feed them something they don't like or want.

I also bought some new toys, so I'd have something to occupy them when they started to get bored and restless.

And I must say...A portable DVD player is THE best thing to have for kids on a long flight.

This is something I like to tell anyone whos flying with small children on a long trip..."Use whatever works". Every child is different and you really know what works and what doesn't. I hope I was able to give you some ideas.

Good luck, and if you can skip the layover...I'd recommend skipping it!

Happy trails!
    Mellie

thanks, Mellie. i'm glad that i hv a few weeks to sort everything out and hopefully be well prepared. i suppose i shouldn't set my expectations too high in terms of what he'll eat or not on the plane. my goal will be for all of us to just get through it!

svasbt is offline Registered User
    Hi kayla:

The first time I flew with my baby alone (without any traveling companion) was when Junior was 7 weeks old, from HKG non-stop to L.A. Needless to say, I was very scared. Almost 2 years on, and precisely 50 flights later, I now realize that that was one of the easiest flights with him!

I don't want to make you worry too much, but honestly an 11-month-old can be quite handful in-flight. He now can move about and wants to do just that. I totally prefer an aisle seat, so at least I can let him stand in the aisle every now and then while I myself am seated in my seat holding onto him. It's also easier to get in and out during the flight.

I ALWAYS change him in the washroom, standing up. I think I've learnt to master that... Give him something (a toy) to hold, so his hands won't be touching anything he shouldn't be touching.

Any food you bring that needs to be chilled can be given to a flight attendant when you board (which normally is before most other passengers). Make sure you write your seat number on it. Not every airline has a microwave oven, so heating up can be tricky. I normally stick with foods that can be eaten at room temperature or cold. Whatever food that can be packed in a zip lock bag, goes in a zip lock bag. That way you can just throw the bags away rather than lugging some empty containers along everywhere.

When your baby is sleeping, and you need to use the washroom, please ask a flight attendant to keep an eye on your baby. They are more than happy to help. Some times they even offer to take your baby for a walk. Let them. You need every breather you can get. One very important thing.. when he sleeps, you sleep. Forget about that movie you have always wanted to watch... You never know when you'll get to sleep next.

Inevitably, babies do cry at times. Just be calm. I know other passengers hate it, but so do you. I'm sorry to say, but how your baby feels is more important than what other people think of you. Just concentrate on making him comfortable, and both of you will be fine.

Last but probably most important, try your luck when checking in. Do ask whether it's possible to get an empty seat next to you. Cathay Pacific and Air Canada have been great at entertaining the request. I guess most passengers would like to be away from babies anyway.

Good luck, kayla. I'm sure you'll be fine.

rani is offline Administrator
    The first long-haul with D was at 7 months and it was a disaster. I was still nursing him and I may have eaten something that didn't agree with him or he started teething, anyway he threw up throughout the flight. When we reached San Francisco we were a mess and smelled horrible. Make sure you've got a bottle of Calpol in your hand luggage!

In SF, D stopped eating solids for a week, had a fever and the runs. His pearly whites finally cut through and we were able to enjoy the rest of our holiday.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com