Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repeating Kindergarten

shaz is offline Banned

Repeating Kindergarten

Has anyone here gone through the process before of having their child repeat a level in kindergarten because they were too young to start primary in the approporiate year? Thanks for your advice.

shaz is offline Banned

anyone here had to do this!!!
    would appreciate to hear what you did.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My daughter has a friend at kindergarten who has repeated a year. She was born in February 2000 and started school when she was only two and a half. The school accepted her but on the condition that she repeat the first year so that she would be the same age as the other children. Usually at the school the children start in the September of the year they are three years old.

I’m not quite sure what you want to know about from your question. The little girl seems quite happy at the school. She did make different friends the first year but once in the repeat class quickly made new friends. When children are kindergarten age they seem happy to play with whoever is there.

Best wishes,
    Barb

shaz is offline Banned

i guess for my son, he is now in K2 (int'l class) and he's 4, was 4 in january this year. if he goes int'l i don't need to worry as he will do k3 sept. this year and move onto primary next year. if he goes to local english schools he'll have to repeat a year in K3 cause he won't be old enough for primary next year. i am wondering where to repeat his kindergartne, at his same school, which i think will be too boring to repeat the work or change him to another kinddie and if so i have to find another one within my area which there aren't too many of.

yourshappily is offline Registered User

Smile I am interested in this topic too

Hi Shaz ..

My baby was born in March 2004. I am very eager to know if your baby really needs to repeat or can somehow get into P1 in later months ..

I believe in early education and think accept my baby to start attending school "earlier", which just means not 2 year & 8 months old. I have been planning and thinking abt this as well. Please keep me update with your arrangement. Anyone here please advise Shaz and share with me your experience.

Thanks!

shaz is offline Banned

hi yourshappily,

for the local schools your child needs to be 6 by the end of the year ie. 31 december. i heard some of the private schools are accepting children younger than that. it is all preference really. i want my son to start P1 when he's older for his confidence more than anything. it took him half a term to settle down into his current class and i think from experience boys need more help.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

One of the things that affects my son’s confidence at school is change. Every year when he moves into a new class it takes him a while to get use to the new things: children, teacher, classroom, etc. This year he found it much easier because one of his best friends was put in the same class and so he settled down in about half the usual time. (I intend to make sure he has a friend in the class next year too.)

If your child also gets upset with changes then even though he might be a bit bored he might actually prefer to stay in the same school. If, however, he enjoys the challenge of change and exploring new things, as my other son does, a new school might be a better option.

Best wishes,
    Barb

momofone is offline Registered User

Repeating Kindergarten

I can share the following story:
    A friend of mine has a October 1998 boy. The little boy started his K1 in 2002, according to my friend, he was doing OK but he was almost the smallest in the class, and he is a shy kid, so his parent decided to let him repeat K1, she said that it is us the parent think it is boring for the kid to repeat, but actually, the kid was very happy and he knows everything and he built up all his confident after the repeating. Now he is doing excellent in his K3 and he is accepted by many DSS and private schools for his next P1 entry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast