Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to give birth? Hong Kong or U.S.

airay is offline Registered User

Where to give birth? Hong Kong or U.S.

I am 2 month pregnant and must decide whether I move to Hong Kong with my husband this summer or stay in the Staes after the BB is Born. Give me some suggestions, please.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi,
    Having given birth in the UK and Hong Kong, I would recommend Hong Kong. The care I received here was second to none.

Jools

Sounds good.

but my another concern is if it's safe to travel from U.S when I am 6-month pregnant and you know, to rent apt, to buy furniture, to find a doctor and blah, blah. What's your opinions?

rani is offline Administrator

Giving birth in HK can be expensive if you don't have insurance, have a read through this thread on Pregnancy Costs.

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104153

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by airay
    but my another concern is if it's safe to travel from U.S when I am 6-month pregnant and you know, to rent apt, to buy furniture, to find a doctor and blah, blah. What's your opinions?
    Well, I guess it depends on how much support you will receive from your husband's company. Will they hire a relocation consultant to show you flats, take you shopping, help you settle in?
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

it's around $10,000 us dollar in the States

I think the insurance will cover up to $25,000 Hk dollar. I need pay a lot if I give birth in the States. But my concern is Safty! is it safe for 6-month pregnant woman to move?

Last edited by airay; 02-12-2005 at 07:50 AM.

a mom is offline Registered User

Wink

i think it's really wise of you to be thinking about the safety aspect of the move for your pregnancy. i have moved while pregnant (3 months) and i had a 1 yr 3 month old to care for as well. that was HARD and probably not the best thing for the pregnancy, but i also had other complications which made it worse.

but do you have other kids? and do you have any reason to believe you will have a difficult pregnancy?these would be the 2 big reasons for me to stay put in the US where I have family/friends. i don't think moving to your new home in hong kong would be vastly different from moving to a new home in the US (i have moved while 7 months prego in NYC!), in fact in some ways it could be much easier because the level of service here is so much better-- for one, you can have full time help for not a lot of money. (meaning someone to unpack your stuff, run errands, cook, clean, etc.) also, it is possible to rent a fully furnished flat here or stay in a serviced apartment (maid service, fully furnished) until you are able to make your own home.

the quality of care here is really excellent so you need not worry about that.

i've heard of many people moving overseas while very prego. i think the key is to be mindful that you need to take it easy, set reasonable expectations for what you can accomplish, set prioroties, and make sure your husband appreciates your/your baby's needs! good luck.

Thank you, A Mom

you answered most of my question. I will carefully plan my moving to Hong Kong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast