Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What happens at registration for QMH/Tsan Yuk?

hkaussie is offline Registered User

What happens at registration for QMH/Tsan Yuk?

Hi,

I'm going to Tsan Yuk (sp?) hospital on Saturday to register, as this is the place you do it when you are having a baby at Queen Mary. I'm currently 11 weeks.

Who has done this before? What should I expect at this 'registration'? The person on the phone said we'd be watching a video, among other things. Will there be an english video option?

Any other info you could give me on what the few hours will hold would be appreciated. I'm just curious, mostly!

Thanks,
    HKAussie

rani is offline Administrator
    I can't remember if the video is in English, I don't think so, best to bring a good book. The video will be playing in the waiting area. You'll be weighed, blood pressure taken, medical history asked etc. The nurses will also want to see your ID card and your partner's. Then you'll have to wait to see a Dr. He'll take a few mins to inspect your bump and that's it!
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Slee is offline Registered User
    When I went along nearly three years ago the videos were in English. One was about giving birth at Tsan Yuk (they hadn't got round to updating it to QMH), one was about the importance of testing for AIDS - an optional test - and finally one about testing for Down's Syndrome.

Predictably the one about the hospital showed a labouring mother quietly lying on her back strapped up to a continuous monitor, with her husband sitting subserviently beside her out of the nurses' way - very old fashioned!

All were so unmemorable my husband has just told me that he doesn't remember seeing any videos!

Forgot to add, I didn't see a doctor, just a nurse and her student. The nurse recommended I eat liver for iron, to which I pointed out that this is toxic to the feotus and can cause birth defects (too much retinol Vitamin A, the same stuff as in acne treatments which gets into the animals through feed supplements). She just looked at me vaguely and repeated her advice!

Don't worry too much though, just always ask that you not see a student doctor and you will be looked after by competent medical professionals.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I was there in 2003 and do remember a video in English, shown to about a dozen of us non-Chinese including Indians and Filipinas in a small back room. Only informative about the various tests they offer. I can't remember whether they did the scan on the same day or not, the nuchal fold one which estimates Downs risk as well as your foetus's age. That might depend on the stage of your pregnancy, because I think they like to do that scan at 12-13 weeks.

One thing which I remember from the early appointments (not the registration visit) was that they said they needed to perform an internal examination. I had no idea what that was for. I reminded them that I had had a cervical smear only 2 months previously. Well blow me if they didn't perform another cervical smear! By the time I realised what they were doing, it was almost finished. Not before several student doctors had prodded me for what can only be "practice", seeing as I had had such a recent test. If I would do it again, I would ask them exactly what they are going to do before they do it, because they won't always volunteer that information! I have other friends who refused to have the smear and it was no problem, or insisted on an experienced doctor (=less painful for this kind of delicate operation!).

Anyway I found the staff very pleasant on the whole and it's an interesting place to go and people-watch other bumps.

The other thing they always do is schedule your next appointment so have your diary handy. They can seem slightly bureaucratic sometimes, such as if your due date is on a Monday they will try to schedule all your appointments on Mondays. Due to my working schedule that was the least convenient day of the week for me, and I did manage to get appointments on other days but sometimes came up against perplexed faces, "But you're in the Monday group!" (My baby didn't cooperate either and was born on a Saturday!)

Have fun!

Thanks a lot for those replies! I feel a bit more equipped now. I'll bring a book just in case they don't have an English option for the video.

I'm desperate to have another scan, as I had one for dating purposes at 5.5 weeks and suffered a miscarriage before this pregnancy. So of course I'm worrying about the baby now! I would love it if they did one at the registration, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait till the first appointment after that.

Jenny, I hope they put me on Mondays for my appointments - that's my day off! I'll make sure I request it.

Thanks again,
    HKAussie

JennyB is right about the ultrasound. Now that you mention it we did have one at the first appointment as we were at the right stage for the nuchal fold u/s. If 11 weeks isn't far enough along for them then if you mention that you have a history of miscarriages (well, one at least but make it sound plural) and say that you haven't had an early u/s to check for a heartbeat then they really should give you one. Don't start worrying more about whether everything will be alright though as you're already at 11 weeks and 90% of women who have a miscarriage go on to have a healthy pregnancy - I'm just feeding you things to get in the radiologist's door!

P.S. if they do let you have an u/s, make sure you go to the cashier to pay for a photo before you go up to the u/s clinic. They won't give you a copy unless you've already pre-paid downstairs - get used to box ticking!.

P.P.S. the same thing happened to me re: the pap test at my next appointment but when I later complained to my QMH OB she pointed out that my private OB hadn't tested for all the same things - if only the trainee had told me that earlier!

Well, I had my registration day today and was remembering all your advice!

I did get an ultrasound, which I was thrilled with, as I was within the right range for the nuchal fold test. However, it was over so quickly I didn't get a chance to even ask which blob was the head! The guy seemed to be focussed on his task of measuring the neck (or whatever), and not on giving me a nice show of my baby. That's understandable!! At least I had the reassurance of knowing all was on track with the baby.

I'm going on Tuesday for my first appt following the registration. They would NOT let me change that first one to Monday (my day off) as Jenny had mentioned. Maybe I wasn't bossy enough though. Hopefully they can be more flexible with future appointments.

And yes, there was an English video option, which we watched in a back room as someone mentioned. It was actually nicer than in the main hall, where everything was a bit noisy.

I was very glad I brought a book, as there was a lot of sitting around and my appointment took nearly 4 hours all together.

Thanks again for the advice!

HKAussie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast