Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: What Type of Thermometer Do You Use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thermometers

rani is offline Administrator

Thermometers

We’ve all been sick this last month with throat infections and really high fevers. D's fever went as high as 103 on a couple of occasions. To check temps we use one of those Braun Ear Thermoscans and you never get the same reading twice. Just wondering what everyone else uses.
    Last edited by rani; 02-17-2005 at 06:00 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Until SARS I had managed perfectly well to bring three children up without a thermometer in the house. When my children were sick it was obvious from the other symptoms that they were ill and so unnecessary to have an actual temperature reading. For doctors I can understand the need to rely on an objective instrument but for mothers, who know the child well, I think that the other symptoms and the change in the child’s normal behaviour are a better indication of how sick the child is.

Now I have a digital thermometer because I have to take my youngest’s temperature everyday in order for her to be allowed into school. It seems to vary between 35.9ºC and 36.3ºC.

I also am a firm believer in an extra day off school once they are better for my children to convalesce. I think it is important to send a child back to school in tip top condition because they usually have a full day and an extra load of homework to deal with. I learnt this by experience, my elder daughter returned to soon to school a couple of times which just resulted in a relapse and another couple of days off later in the week.

Barb

a mom is offline Registered User

Talking

I have a bevy of those useless things. Can you tell I'm a little irate? They all give different readings, very frustrating. REcently when my son was very sick I found the most reliable one to be this little strip that you stick on the head for 15 seconds. It's not supposed to be v. reliable but it beat the ear jobs!

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    We use both the ear themometer and the old-fashioned mercury one.

The ear themometer for when the kid's schools required a temperature chart every day (quicker).

The old-fashioned kind when I want an accurate reading. The kids are now old enough to take it properly.

pragya is offline Registered User
    hi...what my doctor told me abt this thermoscan ear thermometer and for digital one that we just want to know approx. temparature...and he said wht does this matter whether its 102 or 103....ultimately we have to take the kid to doc. ........even i want same accurate temp.......but when he said this than i did not care much for the accuracy.

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    I use the Braun Thermoscan. Temp readings vary a bit but if you take about 2-3 times, you can actually see an average and can easily tell if the child has fever or not.

newbies is offline Registered User
    Braun Ear Thermoscan. Thought it is useful and lot easier to use for baby n toddler who can't sit still waiting for the reading. I only use the reading as a guide (was told by a paed that the ear reading is higher by 2-3 C degree than that of the traditional one).

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    For newborns in the US they are telling us to use a digital thermometer under the armpit and add a degree. We have one of those forehead thermometers and the medical people here don't know enough about them. We try to use both so we can see if the forehead tracks the digital. Luckily we haven't really had many opportunities to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top