Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

QMH--a bit worried

a mom is offline Registered User

Unhappy QMH--a bit worried

Well, I'm pregnant! So I dutifully marched myself over to QMH to register with the high-risk clinic, done by submitting a referral letter. I just received a phone call telling me my first appointment will be beginnning March, when I will be 8 weeks.

Though I would prefer sooner (just to get the standard blood tests and plan of action on my cerclage, etc), I can deal with this. But is it always so hard to get quick appointments there? Anyone have experience with the public high risk clinic? I know they are knowledgeable/talented/respected, but are they easy to get hold of when you need them? Because in my situation, I may need them really fast.

Michele is offline Registered User

I have not experience QMH but I hve experienced the Prince of Wales for three births and four miscarriages and I am considered high risk.

At an early stage of pregnancy (before 16 weeks) if there were any problems we were advised to go immediately to the Accident and Emergency department. After 16 weeks depending on the urgency, you would go to the Obs ward. If extreme A and E or Obs which ever was faster.

After your first appointment, they will advise a procedure for you. As long as your referal letter stated the complications or reasoning for high risk, it will have been taken in to consideration.

Hope that helps.

choysis is offline Registered User

Qmh

I was not considered high risk during my pregnancy but my personal experience was through having a severe asthma attack and been recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I am treated there with care and concern for my wellbeing. Afterall, if there's complications with your child after giving birth at Matilda hospital, they will send your newborn down to QMH!! You will get priority treatment for pregnant, newborn and asthma/chest paitents at QMH A&E.

wendy is offline Registered User

High risk clinic

I was referred to the high risk clinic at QMH from about 20 wks due to a blood condition.
    I saw the profs of obs,heamatology and anesthesia and my care was fab. The heads of deparments don't deliver unfortunately( and that's another story!), but I did see them before going to the labour ward and during the 3 day stay after.
    Fantastic service for a total of $350 bucks !!

thanks you all. I called them later to request an earlier appointment and the nurse asked why I wanted an earlier appointment. when I explained the situation, she secured an appointment for next week for me! :cheerlead
    i like these people!! gonna go downa pickle in their honor. :)

i had my first appointment today at QMH and it was again, worrying. just wanted to say if anyone reads this at some point in time who is high risk and going through the selection process for a clinic, feel free to pm me. i'm going through it all right now and so maybe can be of help to someone else in future.