Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

International Montessori School

prisma is offline Registered User

International Montessori School

I'm exploring this school for my child. I've visited the school and the overall impression was good, except that their campus is a little too enclosed and lacks natural light. Does anyone have children or know anyone that attends this school and can share your opinion on this school?

Thanks!

vchua is offline Registered User

Hi,

It is true that the school lacks space but honestly, you don't really need that much space for pre-school. What is important at this age is the quality of the teachers. My daughter is currently in IMS and absolutely loves her teachers. She loves doing her work in school and has become very self-motivated. She is also very happy and looks forward to school everyday!

Let me know if you need more info.

V

airay is offline Registered User

Do they have schoolbus and how much is the tuition?

Depends where you live but they have school buses for most areas on HK island. The fees are $6,500 for morning session (8.30am-12noon). You can find out more at www.montessori.edu.hk

airay is offline Registered User

wow! it's expensive. The montessorri school my friend's son atending in the United States is less than $600 for morning session.
    Do they caters student living in Tsim sha sui?

prisma is offline Registered User

Hi V,

I know the students in IMS are exposed to both Mandarin and English. How effective do you think is their Mandarin teaching? My impression is that with both an English & Mandarin teacher in the classroom, the children are naturally drawn more to the teacher that speaks their language. If the child is not too comfortable with Mandarin, do they make any effort to encourage the child to listen to/speak Mandarin?

And one more question - I'm not sure what grade is your child in, but in general how are their Chinese writing skills?

Many thanks!!

Hi prisma,

You can't compare their standard of Mandarin with local schools and maybe Suzhe. But for a bilingual school, I would say it's pretty good.

You will be surprised to see many non-Mandarin speakers doing work with the Chinese teacher. Besides doing individual work in Chinese, there is a daily circle time with the Chinese teacher. She will either read a book, sing songs, etc. My daughter speaks mainly English at home but she loves to do the Chinese work and adores the Chinese teacher.

In terms of writing, it depends on the child. Some children are not interested in writing and the teacher will not force them to write. My daughter has always loved writing and she is writing daily. She is 4 years old now.

V

courtbas is offline Registered User

Hi Vchua,

What are the school hours ? Do they have extended day or full day program for 3 year old ?

Quote Originally Posted by vchua
    Hi prisma,

You can't compare their standard of Mandarin with local schools and maybe Suzhe. But for a bilingual school, I would say it's pretty good.

You will be surprised to see many non-Mandarin speakers doing work with the Chinese teacher. Besides doing individual work in Chinese, there is a daily circle time with the Chinese teacher. She will either read a book, sing songs, etc. My daughter speaks mainly English at home but she loves to do the Chinese work and adores the Chinese teacher.

In terms of writing, it depends on the child. Some children are not interested in writing and the teacher will not force them to write. My daughter has always loved writing and she is writing daily. She is 4 years old now.

V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast