Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Twins

Bob
    Bob is offline Registered User

Twins

I am expecting twins in August and am so far planning to deliver in a public hospital, the Queen Mary. I am very much in favour of a natural birth, non-induced labour etc., and a little concerned that epidurals and caesarians could be seen as the norm for twin births. Can anyone who has given birth to twins (preferably naturally) in HK advise on their experience?

Teeks is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Congrats, good to know that you are expecting twins. I am a mother of twin baby girls born on Dec. [email protected]

Yes, you can have natural birth in QM (if you like). I heard there were some women who had successful natural delivery.

In my case, both babies were head down & they suggested me for the natural birth too. But at my last consultation- the doctor told me that in many multiple birth, there may be 50/50 chance of 2nd twin turning when the first one comes out. In this case, I may have to have both natural delivery as well as emergency c-section so it was entirely upto me to take the risk.

I was bit of wimp so went for the c-section and didn't want to bear both pains. Sorry, this is may not be too helpful for you but I'm just sharing my experience.

Good Luck,
    Teeksx

Bob

Twins

Thanks Teeks

Good to know it's possible to try for a natural birth in QM. I have also been advised about the second baby turning once the first has been delivered, but hope that there will be some-one on hand to turn the baby again or deliver breech. I think the trick is to find an obstetician at QM who believes in natural birth and is experienced with delivering twins that way. May be easier said than done as you don't know who you'll get until the actual day I suppose.

Teeks is offline Registered User
    Are you seeing any doctors at the QM or in Tsan Yuk for your prenatal check-ups? Usually, the same doctor will look after you until the delivery time.

Since multiple birth are treated as High risks so there are doctors on the high risk dept. namely Dr. Leung (sorry didn't get his full name). The doctor I was consulting in the Tsan Yuk Hospital was Dr. Lam Ka Wai and she was the same doctor who delivered my twins too. She told me about the possibility of my natural delivery.

Hope you are not stressing too much. Don't worry, you'll be in good hands - trust me!
    Teeksx

Bob

Twins

I am having pre-natal checks at Tsan Yuk but so far each time I have seen some-one different. I think that as we haven't been in HK that long it's just a bit daunting as you seem to have to go along getting little bits of information and advice from any source you can think of, and it would be nice if there was some printed information available that lists ALL your options and the costs involved for child-birth in HK. I'm sure there's lots of people that would find it useful. I have tried to speak to the drs. at Tsan Yuk each time I visit, but I get the impression that at 21 weeks they think it is too early to discuss. I just wanted to know the QM policy etc.

You have made me feel more at ease though. How long did it take you to recover from your c-section? And, did they let your husband attend?
    Also can you tell me if you bought a double buggy for your twins.........I'm thinking about it but don't know if it will be impractical in HK?

carang is offline Registered User
    if DR. Lam Ka Wai is Dr. Helena Lam, she's FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! i had her for most of my prenatal checks at tsan yuk and was deeply disappointed when she told me that she was no longer working out of there...still at QMH though, so i'll keep my fingers crossed that you get her! (in the 20 times that i saw her~ i had a few complications and had many many many prenatal checks!~ she NEVER made me feel that there was anyone else she had to see and was more than happy to take her time to answer any and all of my questions!)

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If a mother of a single baby had asked about getting a buggy in Hong Kong I would recommend a sling for the early weeks. There are so many steps in Hong Kong that usually a sling is an easier option – better than having to carry both the baby and the buggy.

So your question made me think. I’ve found the following web sites about wearing twins in slings:

Babywearing and Multiples by LaRee Brown
    http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowToO/Twins.htm

Slinging twins
    http://www.getattached.com/slingingtwins.htm

Peppermint.com – sling your baby! Newsletter – Wearing Twins
    http://www.peppermint.com/newsaug.htm#1

Story from the LLLI newsletter for mothers, New Beginnings, Slings and Breastfeeding
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug03p133.html

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Kate is offline Registered User
    Came across this while on the internet, looks interesting!
    http://www.4coolkids.com/carriers/ma...xiMomSection=3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast