Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

are HK IDs issued to infants?

andymom is offline Registered User
    One more thing that I hope will help:

for the collection place, I choose the one that people seldom go, (I choose Fo Tan office) bc the queue line was not too long (compared to Wan Chai), so we were there only for less than 30 minutes!

tammie is offline Registered User
    Many thanks for all the info. We brought the baby with us to the Wanchai office and got it processed today.

rani is offline Administrator
    So are they only issuing IDcards to infants of Chinese descent?

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    On the HK Government web site, http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/topical_2.htm, it says:

Chinese citizens with the right of abode in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and holding Hong Kong permanent identity cards, whether or not they are holders of the "British National (Overseas) passport "or" Hong Kong Certificate of Identity" or other travel documents, are eligible to apply for the HKSAR passport.

Lower down the page it says:

For eligible children under 11 years of age who are not holding PICs, their applications for PICs must be submitted together with their applications for HKSAR passports. The application form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. The PIC will be issued together with the HKSAR passport.

PIC = Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card

My husband tells me there are cases of non-Chinese descent holding SAR passports, for example Elsie Tu holds one but she had to give up her British passport to do so.

Barb

rani is offline Administrator
    Barb,

Now that you mention it, I do remember reading in the SCMP a couple of years ago of a non-Chinese businessman and student being one of the first to receive a SAR passport.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

tammie is offline Registered User
    Topical Issues

A General Guide to HKSAR Passport

Q8 I am a Chinese citizen holding a PIC and a foreign passport. Can I apply for a HKSAR passport?

A8 According to " the interpretation of Chinese Nationality Law when applying in the HKSAR" passed by the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress of the Chinese Government on 15 May 1996, you will be regarded as a Chinese citizen if you return to settle in Hong Kong unless you make a declaration of change of nationality at the HKSAR Immigration Department. If you remain as a Chinese citizen, you are eligible for a HKSAR passport. You are advised to read the booklet on ROA in the HKSAR for a more detailed explanation of Chinese nationality matters.
    (Note : " Settled", in relation to a person's claim to the ROA in the HKSAR, means ordinarily resident in Hong Kong and not subject to any restriction on the period of stay in Hong Kong.)

Q9 If I remain as a Chinese citizen, can I keep my foreign passport when I obtain a HKSAR passport?

A9 Yes, you can keep and travel on your foreign passport which will be regarded in Hong Kong and other parts of China as a travel document only. You are advised to read the booklet on ROA in the HKSAR for a more detailed explanation of Chinese nationality matters.

The above Q&As are from immd.gov.hk. What's your take on a person of chinese nationality who holds a HKSAR passport because he's a Chinese citizen, and who may also hold a foreign passport as a travel document?
    In Elsie Tu's case, did she give up her british passport because she chose to work for the HK government?
    If dual passport is accepted as defined above, how does it work in reality? When a person travels to China, e.g., he exits and returns to HK using his HKSAR/PIC, but when he travels to the US, e.g. he may choose to exit HK this time using his US passport in order to enter the US with the same passport?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    There is no problem having dual nationality if you have the Chinese citizenship as a birth right. My children have dual nationality one from me and the other from their father. So they can choose which passport they want to use to enter/leave a country.

The problem is when you apply for a nationality that isn’t yours from birth. Most countries, but not all, then ask you to give up all your other nationalities. This is the case with China. So if you aren’t a Chinese national from birth but apply later in life, e.g. Mrs. Elsie Tu, then you have to give up your old nationalities.

There are also some countries, I believe Kenya is one of them, which allow children born there to keep the nationality until 18 when they have to choose which to give up.

My children use their SAR passports when traveling with my husband and their British passports when traveling with me.

Hope this helps,
    SARAH

hunhun is offline Registered User
    When you apply for your kid's birth certificate, the staff will ask you to declare your kid's nationality. You can say Chinese AND British if you like, or you can declare just one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast