Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playing flash cards???

CWong is offline Registered User

Playing flash cards???

Does anyone play flash cards with your baby??? some of my friends are using flash cards to teach their babies, and most of them can speak lot of words at this early age (nearly 15 months old).... I am just wondering if I should start it or not, I also heard that it is not good because it will affect babies natural brain development, is that true?? any comments or advise will be appreciated, many thanks in advance!!! :lovedface :lovedface

Jen Spain is offline Registered User

I don't know if you need to be as serious as using flash cards, just ensuring that you spend alot of time reading with your baby from birth, pointing out things of interest in the book (eg green tree, red hat, boy, girl etc) goes a long way to helping them identify things earlier. my opinion only ofcourse!
    Jen

andymom is offline Registered User

I agree with Jen.

I read to my ds a lot, talked to him about everything that was going on around him, sang to him, etc. It seemed that my mouth was talking all the time! I was thinking about flash cards, too, but since I took care of my baby myself, after doing all of the above, I didn't have the energy to use flash cards. And he still learned a lot without them. At 6 months he could say 4 words: mama, papa, yumyum (yummy), mam (eat). At 12 months he started talking. By 14 months he started to talk in short sentences, already knew more than 300 words and in two languages! Now at 17 months he talks in sentences, all day! Also he picks up a lot of new words from us, his books and children CDs.

If you have the time and the energy to use flash cards, I think it's ok, too. Because not every children are the same. Of course there some pros&cons about them. But the important thing is to talk & communicate with your baby.

a mom is offline Registered User

I agree, flash cards are just another way to communicate with your baby, not a necessarily better way. The important thing is you talk to babies and engage them as much as you can. As for when a child starts to talk, I don't worry so much about that. My son didn't begin speaking clear words until he was about 26 months and now at age 3 he is probably above average in vocabulary, sentence structure, and overall expressive ability.

Vivian is offline Registered User

Wink

I play self-made word cards with my daughter since she was two. I don't know if the word card is called flash card. Actually playing the cards with her two or three times a day, a few minutes a time is not so difficult as you think. However this is a good way to teach a small kid to read as long as she has fun during the learning or playing. If you want to know more, i suggest you to find the book "how to teach your baby to read" and have a look. If you want to teach your kid to read Chinese, i'll recommend another book.

No matter if you will play words with your baby, reading with her together is sure a very important and intersting game for her.

Vivian

andymom is offline Registered User

For reading, do you think it's easier to teach English or Mandarin first?

carang is offline Registered User

to learn a language, that language needs to be spoken around the child from as early an age as possible... flash cards are NOT necessary! TALK to your child! when you go out on the bus, point out things of interest to him/her...talk about colour, size, shape, what the different people are doing, the occupations of the different people that you see, etc! that's all he/she needs... i have cousins... the mother spoke to the child in French from the time they were born and the father spoke to them in English... they are COMPLETELY BI-LINGUAL now... my hubby and i are doing the same thing with our son... even though he's only one month old, my hubby speaks to him in Cantonese and I speak English, our son will grow up knowing both languages, no flash cards necessary!

CWong is offline Registered User

Wink

Thank you for all the replies!! Basically I dont expect my baby can speak a lot at this age, but for the interview of kindergarten, it will be an advantage if he can speak many words, and it's not easy for my baby to get a place espescially for small baby (my baby was born in Dec).

Vivian,
    Yes... I also read this book, I wanted to try the flash cards after reading it, but my hushand didnt agree and said "there's no good benefits/comments on using flash cards from the oversea or the internet, learning... the baby will just like a receiver and will lose his free thinking in the future." that's why I feel so frustrated!!!

carang,
    Yes, I am using the same way to teach my baby, my husband speaks English to my baby and I speak cantonese, and now he mosty can understand what we say ... but his english is much better than his cantonese...... I dont why?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast