Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

water drinking habits

gini is offline Registered User

water drinking habits

My son is now 6 months and has been on solids for 1.5 weeks. He alternates between bottle and solids every 4 hours. Does he need to drink water? Cuz he hates it now. We've tried diluted apple juice but not dextrose as many elders have suggested. We've tried the bottle, spoons and cups to serve it to him. He hates it all. We literally have to tackle him just to wet his mouth. Can you share your experience? Also, is feeding every 4 hours too often for a 6 month baby?

babysheep is offline Registered User

Drink more water

Have u ever tried congee?

Rosewood is offline Registered User
    We had the same problem, our daughter refused water point blank until we spoon fed it to her, and she would take it quite happily. A bit of a pain doing that, recently we gave her freshly squeezed orange juice diluted with 2 parts water, and she will drink that out of a bottle. We tried cutting down the juice and diluting it with more water, but she wouldnt drink it, so now we're sticking with 1 part OJ and 2 parts water.
    Last edited by Rosewood; 03-23-2005 at 10:40 PM.

what's the best way to make congee

Quote Originally Posted by babysheep
    Have u ever tried congee?
    I've tried giving him congee once and he hated it. I put in salmon and spinich. Does it need to be put through a food processor before I give it to him?

citrus at 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewood
    We had the same problem, our daughter refused water point blank until we spoon fed it to her, and she would take it quite happily. A bit of a pain doing that, recently we gave her freshly squeezed orange juice diluted with parts water, and she will drink that out of a bottle. We tried cutting down the juice and diluted it with more water, but somehow she can taste that its been watered down and wont drink it, so we are sticking with 1 part OJ and 2 parts water.
    How old is your daugther cuz my doc. told me we couldn't give our son citrus until 1.

Rosewood is offline Registered User
    she's 7 months - I've read differing views, some books say its okay as long as its watered down, others say wait until they are older

jdang is offline Registered User
    Gini,

I introduced water to my girls by mixing 1 oz water with a few drops of gripewater when they were 3 mths old. Once they got used to that, I gradually increase the amount of water given. If your son has just started solid, try feeding him a spoon of plain water between every 4 or 5 spoons of solid. If you put the spoon sideways against his lips, it would be easier to 'tip' the water into his mouth & to teach him to sip. As the meal ends, give him a few more spoons of water. By taking solid food from a spoon, your son is learning a new skill, so it may be too soon to give him a cup & hope he knows how to drink from it. And I cannot understand why all babies are expected to love diluted fruit juices (have you ever taste that stuff?) - my girls have never liked it, so it's always plain water with meals. Occasionally, I do give them 1 or 2 oz of 'undiluted' juices in a cup (provided it's not too sweet & never in a bottle, bad for teeth!) and if they don't finish the drink in 15mins, I'd clear it away.

If you want to jazz up your porridge or congee making skill, try this website:
    http://www.parentingjoy.com/porridge.htm