Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Insufficient Breast Milk

happyparents is offline Registered User

Insufficient Breast Milk

Hi Everyone!!

I recently gave birth to a handsome boy 2 two months ago. And I am very proud to say that I have been feeding him purely breastmilk since he was born. I was also able to strart expressing since I had to go out for wedding parties at night. I had my maid feed him while I was out. At first, I instructed my maid to feed him with a spoon so that my son would not be confused with my breast and the bottle. It worked. After awhile, I decided to use the bottle to feed him but also still with breastmilk when I went out. Recently, I discovered that there is insufficient breastmilk even if I would feed him directly from my breast.

Does anyone know why and how I could "get" more breastmilk?? My friends told me to drink a lot of fish soup/seafood.

I definitely would not want to start feeding him with milk formulas..

Thanks.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

The best way to increase your milk supply is to directly breastfeed your baby as much as possible. If you can manage to feed the baby around 10 to 14 times in 24 hours – this will usually increase your milk supply as quickly as possible.

Another technique which can help increase the amount of milk your baby gets at each feed is breast compression. Dr. Jack Newman has instruction of how to do this at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/15.html

If you want accurate information about breastfeeding I recommend that you contact La Leche League in Hong Kong.
    SARAH – 2548 7636
    MAGGIE – 2817-7475
    SACHA – 2914 2272
    MAGGIE – 9048 1701 (Chinese)
    [email protected]

Best wishes,
    Barb

rani is offline Administrator

HP,

You can also try taking Mother's Milk and Fenugreek to boost your milk supply.

Click here for more info

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103066

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Becks is offline Registered User

You can also try

... to feed more often, or take around 1 - 2 days where you feed totally on demand, directly from the breast. Rest well, eat well and do little else for this time. This usually increases the supply a lot. After that, you can go back to normal feeding routine.
    Also:

Drink at least 3 liters of water per day
    Eat plenty of protein rich meals, at least every 4 hours have some protein for yourself
    Oatmeal, fenugreek, dill help increase supply
    Malt can do the same
    Hot pack on your breast for the last few minutes before you start feeding and during early minutes of feeds can help the flow and open the ducts

Finally, make sure you have no blockages in your breasts and either call La Leche or someone like myself to chat if you feel you still are dealing with the problem.

Warm regards, Hulda - Annerley Midwives

happyparents is offline Registered User

Thanks all to your replies.