Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cantonese Classes for Children

AMLam is offline Registered User

Cantonese Classes for Children

Hi
    I am new to this site and have a question that someone maybe able to help me with.
    I am moving to Hong Kong at the beginning of August 2005 and would like to put my kids into a club or camp to learn Cantonese before they start school in Sept. I will be living up near Sai Kung. Does anyone know of anything going on anywhere close by during August or can anyone recommend a school I can put them into during August for maybe half days. I want this to be fun for them and not all academic as it is the school hols.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Angela

New Daddy is offline Registered User

Dear Angela

Why not Mandarin?? Cantonese is a local dialet and Mandarin is the business language. This is a trend that will not be reversible. Where are you from?? BTW, the sounds of Mandarin are all done in "ping yin", so anyone well versed in phonics could pronounce a Chinese word in Mandarin quite nicely. Consider again and do not waste your child's valuable time. Cantonese is a dialet that he can learn from TV and on the street later.

My personal views only.

New Daddy

AMLam is offline Registered User

I know that Manderin is the language to learn but I need for my children to get a basis in Cantonese so that they can communicate with there grandparents in Hong Kong. I am English and my husband is from Hong Kong, but unfortunately has not spoken to the children in Cantonese, hense them not speaking it. They are however bilingual in English and French at the moment.
    Any help gladly received

New Daddy is offline Registered User

How old are they?? Kids pick up language very easy especially with incentives... To find a cantonese tutor is never difficult. When there is an environment, then picking up the language will not be difficult. Depending on their age, you can employ a student worker full time and take them around HK for fun but at the same time force them to speak Cantonese. E.g. You can ask the teacher to use the morning to show them pictures of objects in Cantonese and in the afternoon, exercise what they have learnt. If I was a student, I will happily take up that job for you. I can introduce some local high school students to you for this task if you like.

Last edited by New Daddy; 03-31-2005 at 06:21 AM.

saralee is offline Registered User

New Daddy,
    I wonder if you could help me out? I have been contemplating a semi-imersion for Cantonese as I have learnt some basics previously but need the constant exposure to really get the practice. I have been thinking of getting a few students to help me out but have not really looked into this properly yet as we have just returned to HK. If you know of any students looking for some part time easy work, please do let me know.