Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

contraceptive coils

Sandra & Evan is offline Registered User

contraceptive coils

Has anyone had any experience with contraceptive coils? I am considering it, and have spoken to my doctor about it already, but I wouldn't mind hearing more about it from people who have actually used it. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone about the pros/cons after having used it. Thanks!

mong1972 is offline Registered User

Iud

I am currently on IUD, a brand called Mirena. You can check it out at www.mirena.com

Reason why I would recommend it:
    I only need to wear panty liner each time I have my period. It is 99.99% safe, almost as good as being ligated, according to my gynae....
    and I don't have to remember to take the pill every day at the same time.
    Mong
    www.meganmacy.livejournal.com

ollyvia is offline Registered User
    Mong1972:
    Did you experience any unpleasant discharge? If yes, for how long? I started using it last year. And I can count with my fingers the days in a month that I can forget about using pantyliner. There are times that I have to change a couple times a day

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I use a normal coil, i.e. not one with hormones like the Mirena. When I had it fitted I was still breastfeeding and although both my doctors assured me it was safe to use while breastfeeding I decided not to use hormonal devices at that time. Just about the whole time I’ve been using the coil I’ve had more discharge than I normally get. I get a little bleeding during my ovulation and then a brown discharge (dried blood) until my period. A few months ago my GP recommended I visit a gynecologist. He did a scan and told me that everything looked normal and that coils did that to some women. He recommended that I try the Mirena the next time I was due to change device.

If you are worried I would recommend seeing a doctor. It has given me peace of mind to know that the discharge is just the effect of the coil and nothing more sinister.

Best wishes,
    Barb

I don't have much heavy discharge. The only problem I had was that it took me a while to get my body adjusted to Mirena since it is hormone releasing...
    Mong

ollyvia is offline Registered User
    Mong 1972:
    What do you mean by ".....it took me a while to get my body adjusted to Mirena...."? Do you have mood swing? Have you experienced any migraine?

I didn't get mood swings nor migraine but my period was still slightly heavy and a panty liner won't do the trick.

I had it inserted Jan2004 and it only regulated after taking oral contraceptives in July 04.
    Mong

shaz is offline Banned
    dont wish to scare anyone here but my mum just had her's removed, she got a severve internal infection from her coil.

Scroll to top