Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby constanting licking and sucking on hands

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User

Baby constanting licking and sucking on hands

My baby has been sucking and licking on her hands most of the time. At first i thought she was hungry but she refuses to nurse , instead she'll lick and suck on her hands. Does anyone know what this means? She's one week shy of four months. I'm thinking it could be that she's ready to start her solids. anyone have this before???

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Babies are usually ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 12 months.

The signs to watch for are:

• the ability to sit up

• increased nursing that continues for more than a few days and is unrelated to illness or teething;

• increased interest in table food while others are eating;

• absence of the tongue-thrusting reflex so that baby does not push solids out of his mouth;

• an ability to pick up food and put it in his mouth.

Usually there is one meal a day when the family is together and the baby is on someone's lap, in an infant seat or in a high chair. And when you take a bite of food, the baby's eyes follow your fork from the time it leaves your plate until it's in your mouth with a look of, "how could you eat that without giving me some." Or if the baby is on someone's lap, he reaches for food on your plate, puts it in his mouth, and quickly does it again.

There is a time around three or four months when a baby gets really good at grabbing things (like the food off your plate or toys off the floor), but after it goes into the baby's mouth, he really isn't interested in eating it.

If you are still breastfeeding when your baby does start other foods, remember to breastfeed first and then offer solids. A baby doesn't need large quantities, just a teaspoon or so to start. Other foods still aren't as good for your baby as human milk during the first year, so you're just trying to get baby used to other tastes and textures not to replace the milk.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi Avi,
    The licking and sucking hands might be in preparation for teething. My daughter cut her first teeth when she was four months and would try very valiantly to get her whole fist in her mouth. Is your daughter very dribbly with her hand chewing. I know four months sounds early for this and I wasn't convinced that my daughter was teething either (my son didn't start until he was nine months). After much gnawing of things, my husband said have you checked her teeth? My initial reaction was don't be silly she's only four months; I felt in her mouth and there they were, the bottom two teeth.
    Sarah's advice is excellent about the starting solids.
    I hope that helps

Jools

Daizy is offline Registered User
    My son is 6 months old now and he started to put his hand in his mouth from the time he was 3 months old and gradually he started to put other things as well, it starts with his bib and now any fabric he gets goes straight to his mouth or simply his little hand. He drools like a waterfall and no sign of teething. I guess it's normal for babies as I have seen other babies sucking on their hands and later even their toes :missingto

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User
    thanks for the input. at first i kept thinking she might still be hungry but now i know that is not the case and that she just enjoys doing this. i've accepted it and just let her enjoy.

hol
    hol is offline Registered User
    Avi,
    My son also tries to put both fist in his mouth and sometimes I think he will suck a finger or thumb off. I would hold off on solid foods a little longer.

AshleeRae is offline Registered User

Tasting and Sucking

Hi girls,

I was reading about your babies need to suck and lick their hands and other things as well. What does your doctor say about starting solids? Maybe you should consider it. I am pregnant now but have worked with infants a toddlers for some time. I had a classroom of 10 toddlers and they chewed on everything in sight. We had to have multiple toys in the room. This is a need and normal for them to use their mouths to learn more about the world. Taste and smell is a sensitive period for them at these early stages in develment. SO allowing them to explore, safetly, with their mouths is a very good thing to allow them to do. This is even why they want to put sand in their mouths (yuck), even though it does not taste good, its how they learn and explore. Its okay to tell them what they can and cannot put in their mouths to make Moms/Dads feel better. Have you tried baby bisquits or Pieces of toast they can hold if age appropriate? Imagine if yummy cheeses, wines, and fruit were in front of us and our hand were tied up, it would be frustrating not to be able to touch and taste, right.

Good Luck!
    AshleeRae
    Last edited by AshleeRae; 09-15-2006 at 09:00 AM.

nikimom is offline Registered User
    pls help
    i've the same problem with my 12weeks daughter, she keeps sucking on her finger out loud and has started to refuse to nurse for more than 10 mins, and wouldnt take a bottel even when she's starving, she just keeps cryign and crying when the teats touch her lips, wt's goin on with her? thought its almost time for her growth spurt but she just wont take anything excpet her own fingers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast