Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

High Risk Unit at QMH

ShannonWagstaff is offline Registered User

Question High Risk Unit at QMH

I will be having my first baby in the High Risk Unit of Queen Mary's Hospital (high risk due to thrombocytopenia and Systemic Lupus) in August. I am really interested in hearing any stories from other families who have given birth in this unit - their experiences of policy (ie when fathers are allowed in), standard of care, length of stay etc. In particular - in the HRU, you tend to see the same OB through all of your ante-natal checkups. Did the same OB deliver your baby, or as it luck of the draw? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

a mom is offline Registered User
    i'm an hru patient there too but hopefully won't deliver till october. from what i've read here on previous threads, fathers are allowed in deliv room, people are very satisified with quality of care. as for length of stay, i suppose that depends on your individual case once you deliver how the baby and you are. i'm glad to know you've been seeing the same dr throughout, so far it hasn't been the case for me and makes me nervous but perhaps after my surgery this will change. good luck, i'm sure it'll all be fine.

Thanks very much for your reply. I am interested to know if you were referred to the HRU by an outside doctor, or whether you were placed there after an initial QMH antenatal appointment?

Seb's Dad is offline Registered User
    hi shannon
    i delivered my triplets at QMH and went through their ante-natal checkups as well. because i was high risk, i saw the same dr each time. i have gone through both the private and public health care system in hong kong (had my son at matilda) and can say the care you will receive at QMH is just as attentive and excellent.

we were referred by my normal GP, and yes, the same OB delivered our babies, but it was luck of the draw. then again, i was an emergency caesarean. but another friend of mine who went through the HRU had her regular dr deliver hers as well, so i am pretty sure your chances are very good. all the HRU drs are excellent.

in an emergency caesarean, your husband is not allowed in the operating theatre. in a scheduled caesarean, he is, as well as in a "normal" delivery situation.

after the baby is born, your husband and one guest can visit during regular visiting hours, 12-1pm and 6-8pm. they'll go through all this with you when you tour the hospital.

normal vaginal delivery with no problems, a three day stay, although i know mothers who have checked themselves out the next day. caesareans, recommended five day stays, although again, i know mothers who have gone home early.

hope this helps
    tess

Dear Seb's Dad,
    Thanks so much - that's all really helpful. Do you have any idea what constitutes an 'emergancy' c-section? I think at the private hospitsals, it's any c-section with less than 12 hours notice. Do you know if this applies at QMH?
    Cheers.

Seb's Dad is offline Registered User

not certain

i am sorry, i don't know what constitutes as an emergency, but i would suspect it is a "non-scheduled" caesarean. (for emergency c-sections mothers are also put under.)

the high risk unit is really great. bring a book though, sometimes there is a bit of a wait to see the dr, and there aren't any magazines to read.

tess