Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby food

kyliedee is offline Registered User

Baby food

My daughter has turned 4 months recently and I am starting to feed her solid food. You may find this funny, but I simply do not know how to make baby rice cereal from scratch! I tried boiling rice the normal way, and just added loads of water, but eventually the rice just got stuck at the bottom of the pot.

I do not want as much as possible to feed my daughter commercial baby rice cereal that you can get in a can. But it seems to me that unless I learn how to make it myself I will get stuck on it after all.

Need help. Any gourmet baby food chef around?

Zee
    Zee is offline Registered User
    The way I used to make it was to mix around 2 spoons of rice to about 3 cups of water. Once it is boiling, turn to low heat and stir every 5 to 10 minutes. Add water if desired. To achieve congee type of texture, you may need to keep stirring for around 30 minutes (maybe more).

The amount of porridge a 4 month old takes may not be worth the trouble to slave in front of the stove for 30 minutes. ParkNShop has this organic plain rice cereal that is free from preservatives. No flavouring, just plain organic rice. It comes in a box. It gives a very smooth texture once you add milk or water to it. Very convenient and may be more practical for a 4 month old.

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    I agree with Zee, my baby girl loves the organic rice cereal from ORGANIX. When my daughter doesn't like a particular fruit or veggie, then I just add the rice cereal and she can eat it all :)

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    One way to make the congee very smooth is to grind the rice grains up (in a coffee grinder) before cooking it.
    Barb

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I read in Dr Bramley's book that rice cereal was the one food you shouldn't try and cook at home. The reason was because the commercially prepared ones have iron added that babies need after 6 months.

I agree with you that I don't like the commercially prepared foods. I make everything for my daughter except rice cereal and baby yoghurt. Having said that, she had the odd jar of fruit when we were out and about.

Off topic, but now she is 2 and when we go out for a meal, she needs more than just bits off my plate, so I like to order her a children's meal. Restaurant meals for children are awful - you seem to have a choice of chicken & chips, fish fingers & chips, pizza & chips, etc. May as well have gone to McDonalds !

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User
    I agree with jane. the ones that you buy have iron which are good for infants. you can buy those that are organic and you'll feel better that way. my daughter is about 4 months and i'm excited to get her started on solids. i was looking for organic baby food. although they have some in wellcome the range of choices is quite limited. can anyone recommend where i can find some of these.

Rosewood is offline Registered User
    Olivers in Princes Bldg have a small range of organic veggies, I steam them until they are soft then puree and freeze a batch using ice cube trays, so I have a supply of food available.

Daizy is offline Registered User
    I took my 6 month old for his check up and the nurse told me to switch from rice cereal to ordinary rice and make congee with minced beef/chicken and feed him from 6-9 months. I also noticed that in different cultures people give different foods. Asians tend to give more congee to their babies, I like to feed him more vegetables/fruites, oats, barley etc.. My cousin wants to give her 6 month old fresh apple and orange juice without cooking it ahead of time, my Indian friend told me to cook lentils and rice and feed him.
    I would suggest you do whatever you feel is best for your baby and see whether he gets constipated or if he is allergic to something and ofcourse consult your mom/sister/friends for their babies reaction when starting solids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast