Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Renting serviced apartments... tenants rights???

Dena is offline Registered User

Exclamation Renting serviced apartments... tenants rights???

Sorry this is a bit long... but I'm kinda desperate!

We've been living in a serviced apartment, which we've rented for 6 months (made a initial contract for 6m only). I'm pregnant and about to deliver our baby in 3 weeks and our tenancy agreement ends in end of May. We're most likely going to relocate away from HK but that's not confirmed yet and it has to happen after the baby is big enough to travel and owns a passport.

We told the Management that we'd like to extend our tenancy for at least another month or two. First they told us that, they think the market is gonna go up, which means they could have it rented for a better price than we're paying. Fine, we asked them to make us an offer and we'll see if we can meet their price. They were reluctant to do so. Days later when my husband personally went to talk to the Manager. The message was that they already have someone willing to rent our apartment after we move out. Ok, pretty straight forward right, obviously they don't want us to stay here anymore. However my question is; Can they just go ahead and rent it, without asking us first if we want to extend the contract? Don't we have any rights? We haven't break anything, behave badly or misused the apartment. And this is after all a serviced apartment, so you'd think renting terms are pretty flexible!

Anyone, who knows anything about this, please share some light on this situation. When we have to move, our baby is only 2-3 weeks old and that's a bit nerve wrecking for me as a first time mom. Really having a problem to find a place to stay for 1-2 months.

Any advises appreciated! Thanks!
    Dena

shri is offline Administrator

Dena,

First of all, serviced apartments renters have few rights.

Second, can you email me the name of the apartment on [email protected]

We do a fair amount of serviced apartment refferals through geoexpat and I try and see if I can do some arm twisting.

Shri

shri is offline Administrator

Dena,

Noticed you started a similar thread on GeoExpat.Com. I'm closing this one here.

Continued here: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3362