Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Mosquitoes

emilyc is offline Registered User

Mosquitoes

How do you keep the mosquitoes away?

My son is now sleeping in an adult bed with barricade, ie, cot mosquito nets no longer works. He gets bitten so badly at night time.

I do not wish to put on the electric mosquito repellent because the fumes may be harmful to babies. Do not wish to put mosquito stickers on his clothes at night time in an enclosed area for the same reason.

Anyone has any good suggestions?

Tks

Rgds

e

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    I'm dealing with the same thing now, the mosquitos just love to feast on my son, and the bites swell so big, that it's scary! I've talked to my landlord and ask him to see about the possibility of installing screens for the windows, and he also suggested to get a machine that attracts the mosquito to kill them. But I am leaning towards having screens installed.

Fafa is offline Registered User
    Hello all,

I had the same experiences with my 2 princesses. Their sweeteness always attract the ****es of the mosquito. I tried to put on the repellent cream from Mustella before. Nevertheless, it stopped production for 2 years and I turned to the baby parfume of Chicco since then. My friend was advised by a paedarician that we could put on their hair and clothings if not on their body (which is also my concern). It did help if not 100%. Otherwise, you would find that they have swollen forehand, foot and forearm when woke up every morning in Summer. Last year, I have started using the electrical repellent machine. I found it quite ok as long as you put it closed to the window but not your baby.

In case you got bite, I found the Aloe gel of NuSkin is very very effective. I used to put it in the refrigerator and has the best soothing effect. Otherwise, my princesses would have a lot of blister after got bite.

www.florasam.mypharmanex.com

Fafa :cheerlead :cheerlead

Mrs Wiggle is offline Banned
    Screens are good. Mosquito lamps like the ones used in food shops can be good too but they need to be placed high up which can be difficult. Oil of citronella or citronella candles can also be good (but not in a child's room!!). You can also buy citronella patches at Mannings. I have avoided the electrical devices which you plug into sockets and add chemically treated pellets to because I don't like the idea of breathing in the chemical clouds! Mosquito coils are good outside - you should be able to get natural ones which use fish oils. Don't rely on anything which emits a high frequency sound. Mosquitos are deaf! Good luck!

emilyc is offline Registered User
    many tks guys and gals.

have decided a combination of screens and mosquito lamp.

tks for the suggestions

rgds

e

Prego1 is offline Registered User

Mosquito defence advice from Mosquito magnet

Whenever my husband and I go out to dinner in summer, I would get 10 - 14 mosquito bites while he gets none. For some reason I tend to always attract them. The only thing that works for me is TAICO, in the green and white bottle made by a Belgium company and sold vastly across Thailand. The downside is that this is made with DEET. I have read that its safe to use on the internet, but I'm sure that there must be some risks.

When on vacation and sleeping with the mosquitos, I drag the TAICO roll-on around the perimeter of bed and for some reason it always works for me. Hope this helps.

zoelee is offline Registered User
    My daughter attracts mosquitoes wherever she goes. I got this little device from Watson which emits sounds of male (or was it female, I forget) mosquitoes or dragon flies. It scares the mosquitoes away. Not 100% but good enough. She wears it on her arms when she goes to the playground.

Krayfish is offline Registered User
    I live on the outlying islands on the ground floor so the mosquitoes can be a problem. What we have are screens on the window for when we'd like it open, but for bedtime we simply use an adult mosquito net which we bought from IKEA for my 2 1/2 year old son's bed. Nice and cheap and easy to install. For going out we spray a mosquito spray from Bumps to Babes (can't remember the name but in a buirght yellow bottle) which does the job really well.