Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Treatment for cradle cap?

shalom is offline Registered User

Unhappy Treatment for cradle cap?

my 3 month old son has very bad cradle cap. it's hard yellow crust at the top of his scalp and sometimes it even smell. i rub baby oil on his scalp everyday and wash his hair once every 2 days but it doesn't seem to improve at all. sometimes the old crush fall off and new ones are formed. does anyone has the same problem? if so, may i asked what was your solution for it and how long does it take before it vanished totally?

intrigue is offline Registered User
    there is a cradle cap shampoo made by mustela and I bought mine from Bumps to Babes (5 Floor, Pedder Building, Pedder Street, Central)

I understand you can get it elsewhere but I just got mine at B to B.

dear intrique,
    thanks. i went to Band B today and got it. started using it tonight. fingers crossed that it will work. thanks again

fingers crossed!

Red face

i have used the mustela shampoo, his cradle cap is slowly improving but very very slowly. there are still some hard crusts around. i find the shampoo quite drying on the scalp, what do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

hmmm I was fortunate in that my son only had a little cradle cap.

according to my "what to expect" book...

"Mild cradle cap, in which greasy surface scales appear on the scalp, often responds well to a brisk massage with mineral oil or petroleum jelly (thats Vaseline) to loosen the scales, followed by a thorough shampoo to remove them and the oil. Tough cases, in which flaking is heavey and/or brownish may benefit from the daily use of an antiseborrheic shampoo (the one from mustela) that contains sulfur salicylates such as Subex (make sure you keep it out of the baby's eyes) after the oil treatment. (Some cases are aggravated by the use of such preparations. If your baby's is, discontinue use and discuss with your doctor). Since cradle cap usually worsens when the scalp sweats, keeping it cool and dry may also help - don't put a hat on baby unless necessary (when outside in the sun or when its cold outside) and then remove it when you're indoors or in a heated car.:

From that I would try massaging the baby's cradle cap with a baby sponge and the mineral oil or vaseline (petroleum jelly)... then follow up with the mustela shampoo.

When my son's skin got dry (but only his arms and legs from when it was cold) we used Oilatum in his bath - you may consider that if your child's skin is dry.

thanks. i am already using oilatum now because my son also has eczema. it's not as bad as the cradle cap but he has rough skin on his knees and elbows, probably is hereditary because my husband also has eczema and asthma and not to mention hay fever when he was little.

with regards to his cradle cap, i have tried olive oil, johnson and johnson baby oil and even egozite oil for cradle cap, doesn't seem to work much. really dont know what else i can do for him except to continue with the olive oil and hairwashing daily.

are you using your hand only to wash his head or are you using a baby sponge or hand towel? you will need one of them to act as gentle friction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast