Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

French International School

john-cannuck is offline Registered User

French International School

Need some helps and advice from parents out there who have kids studying at the French International School (i.e. Lycee)...

(1) How's the reputation and quality of the school?

(2) I know that the school has an "International Section" which uses English as the teaching language, and French is taught as a second language. How's their quality of education when compare to the "French Section"?

(3) Does the school have a long waiting list? Is it too late to apply now?

(4) How well does the school handle parents who are not French speaking?

Thanks!

John

83ko is offline Registered User
    I have the exactly same questions about French Int'l School. My kid will be 3 yr old at 2010 Sept entrance. Would anyone pls give me some advice on this?

Thank you very much!

sea princess is offline Registered User

French school

Not sure if I can help you other than to tell you that we put our daughters name down to start reception Sept 2009 in February (international stream) and were offered an interview in March/April and she recieved a place.
    The wait list, I was told at the time, was very large (130 from memory) but as it turned out, there were alot of people relocating and several positions came up. So don't be put off. They were also very upfront about this and told me this was likely to happen unlike some of the schools who just asked for more money to keep her on the wait list!
    Can't comment on the education though as she's yet to start. However, people I know who send their children there and are very pleased. Their only criticism is that it is very academic and one family mentioned that their son was further ahead by leaps and bounds when compared to cousins in a year above in other schools? Not sure if this is true, just what I have been told.
    I liked the international section. It seemd the most culturally diverse international school (lots of nationalities represented unlike kellet and canadian) and that appealed to me. We also loved HK academy, but the school is moving to Sai Kung. So it was out of Bradbury or French in the end. We thought that the smaller class size at French was a small advantage. Also have had friends that are teachers at Bradbury and although they speak really highly of the school the turn over of people, staff and students, is really high and seemed to be more than other schools?

83ko is offline Registered User
    Thank you very much, sea princess, for sharing your experience.

My husband side is French-speaker (but not French), so it's actually a big thing for us if my kid goes to the school or not... I am a bit relieved to hear that there might be still a chance. Again, thanks a lot!

And, more comments/advice would be appreciated!!

Aber97 is offline Registered User
    sea princess, just wondering at what age was your child when you applied to the school? My child is waitlisted there since she was 2 weeks old to start reception in 2012 but I have no idea how big the list is.

Mommytobe is offline Registered User
    Hi, just read all of your postings. Very interesting to us because we are also considering the French international schools. My husband is French and we would like our child to be able to learn French and think that French schools would be the best way to do it here in Hong Kong.
    I am due in a week or so. Would it be too early to apply now or do I have to wait for our kid to be born first?
    Appreciate any info on this. Merci!

Happy Baby is offline Registered User
    hi, i hope to shed some light on your question. my daughter was six months when i placed her name on the list for the international stream at FIS (for reception in 2010). although at the time, they did not let me know what number she was on the list, i was told that there is usually 300-400 applications for about 50 slots. once your child passes the interview, siblings of existing FIS students as well as debenture holders get first priority. then they go down the list.

again, this is for the international stream.

good luck!

sea princess is offline Registered User
    Hi Aber97
    We arrived less than a year ago when my daughter was three (she is now four) and her applucation went in about 8 months before the place was offered. I think it really depends on what's happening in HK. We were really feeling the stress that we had nowhere for her, but in the end we were offered places at three of the international schools. Most people I talk to say that it just seems to have a way of turning out? Not sure if that's true, but it was with us!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast