Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Leg cramps at night

Moooi is offline Registered User

Leg cramps at night

I've started getting painful leg cramps at night. Read that docs used to think due to calcium deficiency but now not true. Could be magnesium deficiency or too much phosphorus. I'm afraid to take magnesium supplements coz heard may soften uterus and cause miscarriage!! Read drinking tonic water works but it contains quinine and in large quantities can also cause miscarriage!...so confusing. Any home remedy recommendations anyone ?

hunhun is offline Registered User
    Hi Moooi,
    There may 3 reasons why you're getting leg cramps:-
    1. Standing or sitting for too long during the day 2. Inappropriate sleeping position 3. Minerals and Calcium imbalance
    So, apart from taking supplements (you should ask your gyne which one to take), you should try to:-
    1. Change your sleeping position
    2. Don't stand or sit continuosly for too long
    3. Keep your legs warm, esp. your calves
    4. Do some exercise
    5. Massage your legs from ankle pushing upwards, or wrap your legs in hot towels from time to time.

Hope this helps a bit

kellyst is offline Registered User

leg cramps

i'm 5 mths along and had cramps since the beginning of the pregnancy.

have since find a way to fight it so i don't need to be screaming for hubby for remedy at night. you should be able to feel the cramp just coming along before it really hits, right at that point flex your toes towards yourself, push against your heel as much as possible and stretch out your calves as much as possible. you can do this whole position while lying in bed and not moving anything else.

hold this position for a bit and the cramp will pass. doc says most important is not to curl up leg when cramp hits, only makes it worst and it cramps more, stretch your leg against the cramp instead.

i've found that this has helped me a lot the past few months, having no other remedy. hope this helps.

--k

hkkm is offline Registered User
    Another possible reason for leg cramps is lack of potassium. Bananas are high in potassium, so try eating a banana a day. If it doesn't help, it certainly won't hurt :-)

Moooi is offline Registered User

thanks you all!

thanks hkkm, kellyst and hunhun! i've tried massaging my calves at night with sesame oil (provides heatiness) and last night no prob! also had been sitting on PC too long, so heeding your useful advice thanks! will also munch on bananas! ;)

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    They are so painful aren't they!!

The first one I had, about 2 weeks ago, terrified my poor husband who thought the baby was coming! (I'm only 24 weeks)

I tended to get them when I forgot to take my multivitamin. I'd also second the banana idea. I had been having a skim milk/banana smoothie every day with breakfast, but then didn't have them for a week and that week I got cramps.

HKAussie