Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

pineapples while pregnant

Prego1 is offline Registered User

Morning Sickness

Sunbun,

I had such a bad chase of morning sickness through my 14th week, that I felt like I was undergoing chemo-therapy combined with a champagne hangover. Not one thing did the trick...here are some things that helped me and I hope that do relieve your symptoms some. But, I've felt what your going through... I'm in my 21st week and fine now so most people were right about it lasting only during the first tri.

1. Grapefruit gatorade. Always seemed to settle me stomach whenever I started feeling nauteous. A quick swig usually worked.
    2. Fruit juice (anything non-citrus, like grape or apple)
    3. Honey-ginger tea sold in Korean grocery stores.
    4. Mangos
    5. Total Cereal, Chex Cereal, etc...with milk. They also have folic acid and are loaded with vitamins that are good for you anyway.
    6. Toast with sweet jam.
    7. Roast sweet potato. Pop these in the oven for about an hour and they carmelize and turn really yummy. Packed with good vitamins for bubs.
    8. Live yogurt with honey.

I think the trick is to when you are sick on something, not to have that food again for a while. For me, something sweet always helped me and if I ate anything dry as suggested by the books, they were just chalky and hard to swallow.

Hope this helps. It does get better. I promise. Even though I treated myself to these sweets in the morning, I've gained average weight and it was more important to get through the first miserable weeks than watching my sugar intake.

Sunbun is offline Registered User

Thank you for your suggestions!

Thank you for your advice! I am getting myself into a routine now where I hop out of bed and go straight to the kitchen to have some toast and fruit for breaky, and then get on with my regular routine of getting ready for work. That holds me over until I get to work an hour later and then I need to have my "second breakfast" lol!

I still find that I'm gagging over my toothbrush, but I am learning to control/avoid the queasiness for the most part. I may try out the "Fruit & Fibre" cereal next grocery shop.

It' so nice to have others to talk to in Hong Kong about advice and similar experiences. Thank you GEO Baby!!

Sunbun

cristletips is offline Registered User

I've been feeling nauseated throughout most of my days, but the only food that ever sounds appetizing to me are Mangos!

Rice Krispies Treats Cereal also tasted good this morning.

Eating a cracker in bed before i get up is plain yuk. The thought makes me feel sicker!

mumof3 is offline Registered User

Pineapple

sorry to go backwards, but just wanted to add my two cents about the pineapple question. I'm 37 weeks with my third and have never steered away from pineapple at any point in the pregnancies at all. Throughout all my pregnancies and everything was fine. The only thing that I had heard about pineapples was that they are actually is a natural inducing method- as it contains natural oxytocin, not that it will MAKE you go into labour but if you are ready (or ripe as they call it) it helps (aparantly) So with my first one time was ticking on and as I got closer to 42 weeks I had heard that hospital induction was extremely painful so I tried every possible form of natural inducing that I could find information on - which included eating one whole Massive pineapple in one sitting. All I got from it was a mouth that felt like razors had scraped the inside -LOL. Plus made my husband sick just watching me as he HATES pineapple...... A few days later I had to have the hospital induce- - and yes, it was painful.

Prego1 is offline Registered User

To Mumof3

Thanks for sharing! Your story made me laugh out loud b/c your pineapple story sounds like something that I would do, but now won't do after learning from your razor-in-mouth experience.

Moooi is offline Registered User

avoid esp unripe pineapples

i study ayurvedic medicine and it says to avoid pineapples during pregnancy esp unripe ones. they have traditionally been used to induce abortions in many asian cultures. i guess a ripe juicy pineapple since now and again is ok but i'm 6months and i like pineapples very much and have taken only very very selectively - ie. not on days I take papaya or mangoes (too heaty). Other fruits to avoid are lychee, durians...

sky123 is offline Registered User

I heard from a friend that papaya was a natural contraceptive. It contains certain elements that are in contraceptive pills. Not sure if this is true though.

HappyV is offline Registered User

I can't hlep thinking that if fruits such as pineapple or papaya were truly a risk to pregnant women, then they would be listed along with soft cheeses, shellfish etc in all of the literature. These foods are associated with a general 'higher risk' factor due to the chance of listeria. Pineapple being a threat to pregnant women sounds like an old wives tale (in the worst sense of the phrase). I have had many pregnant friends indulge in pineapple - no early babies yet! Just eat what you crave in moderation, and try to relax!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast