Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

taxiing baby around HK

suzieq is offline Registered User

taxiing baby around HK

Hi,

A couple of things........

We are moving to Honkers in July with our then 8 mth baby....and like most mums I will be doing a lot of taxi time with my babe....so whats the deal with car seats in taxis? Can you hire cabs with car seats or how does it all work....don't think I can lug around the good old safe n sound!

Also, am I best to buy a shopping centre friendly stroller (i.e. the umbrella style) in Australia or are these aplenty in HK. Possibly a stupid question but do people have buggys - obviously not for down town use.....do they have any mums/ bubs walking clubs in HK island??? Of course realise pram friendly walks are limited, but does this exist? Have a baby that loves her walks in her buggy!

Cheers again

SQ

csy
    csy is offline Registered User
    Hi,

It is hopeless to ask a taxi to install car seat for your baby, unless you have a taxi driver familiar with like you ride on the same taxi everytime you go out.Actually we get taxi call service here and hope if you know the driver personally he will be willing to install car seat for you. Ans try to get a light-weight, compact stroller in HK is much wiser. Since the roads and some of the small shopping centres might not be that child-friendly...

csy

Mmmmmm, so how do mums get around with their babys then? Sure if you are living centrally not likely to be a problem as can use the train most of the time. We are thinking Southside. There is no way you could lug a car seat to the shops with you!

Jen Spain is offline Registered User
    Hi Suzie,

We left our jogger pram at home (Melbourne) which we miss severely but is totally impractical for HK. However, I would advise to get an umbrella stroller from Aus if you can, as the good ones seem cheaper there to me. Just make sure if folds up easily (one-handed), has a decent hood, a cover for rain, and reclines for sleep (such as a Maclaren).

Am not sure about taxi safety for you - Our daughter Ally is now 22months old so she can basically sit in a seat of her own. I guess it's make do as you can - using baby bjorn where possible (please bring one of those it'll come in really handy here for you) etc. Where will you be living? Trains are great as there's no need to fold up prams etc and they're great for inducing sleep! Also, some apartment complex's have shuttle buses which are fantastic.

Oh, and about your earlier email re: what to bring. I would advise a couple of things:
    - if you use happy baby dummys at home (the bell-shaped ones) - bring plenty of supplies as you can only get the flat ones here.
    - good quality / large bath towels - decent quality ones are very expensive
    - if you are a coffee-fiend like myself, bring over a stove-top perculator and/or decent coffee (its available but nowhere near as good quality)

we find vegemite and other aussie staples (VB etc) cheaper here than home. Honestly, we live in a predominantly chinese area and there's nothing we can't get as we want / need it.

Good luck moving!
    Jen

csy
    csy is offline Registered User
    Hi Suzie,
    Jen is right, bring more big bath towels since here in HK are expensive and not as good quality as in Aus. I always buy towels wherever I travel cuz they get better quality. Where in the southside are you planning?

csy

noella is offline Registered User
    Hi Susieq,

We have just moved here with a 22month old and I just bought a Maclaren stroller here. It was cheaper than in the UK and really easy to fold to shove in the boot of a taxi!! Havent ventured too much into Central yet as all the steps at the MTR stations have put me off but we live in Repulse Bay and have a good shuttle bus facility.

Good luck with the move!!

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    Hello, I have a 6 months plus baby and we go out almost everyday either by taxi, bus, tram or MTR. Our car seat is attached to the pushchair. So, when I take a taxi, I'll detached the car seat and put the pushchair at the front seat. This is good because if my baby is sleeping, I don't need to wake her up if I have to fold the pushchair. If I am travelling by bus, I'll put her in the sling and carry the pushchair (without the car seat and the pushchair is quite light) . As for tram and MTR, I think it is easier to travel just with the sling. You can use pushchair with MTR but I find it quite stressful because there are so many steps! A tram is fun but is always crowded and with no air-cond. I am not sure whether there is any regulation in terms of using car seat in taxi. I sometimes just hold my baby without a car seat (she can sit up now) and put the seat belt on me. We enjoyed walking so we have a baby backpack to carry her around. I am not sure whether there is a women walking club in HK but there are many walks that are quite pram friendly and you can do it quite easily with young children. Another thing you need is mosquito net for the pram. You can get a lot of baby stuff in HK (Harbour City at Tsim Sha Tsui, Winsor House in Causeway bay, Horizon Plaza in South Horizon, etc) Overall I am very happy with my life in HK. There is so much to do even for a mother and a baby!

thanks guys for the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top