Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

36 wks pregnant but baby still at breech position, is ECV a good option?

yca
    yca is offline Registered User

Hi Prego1 and loupou,

Thank you for your advice. I know that in some countries like New Zealand, they allow pregnant women to wait till the last moment before they decide whether to have a c-section or not. However I am a first time mother and in HK most of the OBs don't recommend a natural vaginal birth for a breeched baby that it seems too risky to wait for too long. Besides, I think my husband and I would prefer a safest way to bring our baby to this world. We are both quite nervous given that this is our first one.

I have been seeing a few OBs already. All the private OBs I saw told me to schedule a c-section to be done around week 38. I also took my friends' advice to see OBs from public hospital and they are the only one telling me that I should wait till week 37 and suggest that maybe ECV is a feasible option to turn my baby. They are more supportive and they encourage me to have a natural birth if the baby can be turned to vertex position. Instead of pushing me to have a scheduled c-section, I think they have given us a lot more flexibilities. So now we have to wait and see how my condition will be on next Monday, then decide what we want to do...

So far I enjoy my pregnancy and I thought I can have a natural vaginal birth without any problem. The idea of having a c-section hence becomes so devastating. Honestly, I am scared of having a c-section but now I have to persuade myself to accept the fact that if it is the safest way to give birth to my baby, I shouldn't feel so bad about it. After all, we just want out baby to be safe...

momo is offline Registered User

VCA I know how you feel. I had the same experience. My first baby was in breech position and having set my mind on drug free natural birth I was devastated to learn I will need a c-section. So I went for acupuncture and also tried ECV. Nothing worked and I had my first baby by c-section. With my 2nd baby I had a natural drug free delivery. With the benefit of hindsight I would not have stressed and upset myself so much with the fact that I had to have a c-section. Ultimately it is the baby (and your) health which should be top priority. Anyway if you are keen on natural birth you can still have one with subsequent babies.

yca

Hi momo, thank you for your encouragment. I think as long as my baby can be brought into this world safely, I shouldn't feel so bad about having a c-section. It is good to know that you gave birth to your second baby naturally. For now, I'm trying to stay relaxed and not to think so much. I guess what will be will be...

Hi Bzee, please check your private message. Thanks.

Hkmuma is offline Registered User

Dear VCA

My first child was breech, I tried acupunture then an ECV. The ECV was done at around 36 weeks and was sucessful. The procedure was very simple and was very quick, the doctor massaged my stomach and twisted the baby around in seconds, after a bit of monitoring I left the hospital and was told to walk around for a bit to try to keep the baby head down. The baby stayed head down until birth. I feel ECVs are worth a try if you really want to try for a natural delivery.

However that said, unfortunately after going from thinking I might need a c-section, to then thinking I wouldn't, I then landed up with an emergency c-section. The lesson I think it great to have wishes about your childs birth however don't get fixed on them - read up and learn about c-sections even if you don't plan one, that way what ever happens you are somewhat prepared.

Good Luck.

a mom is offline Registered User

i know a chinese medical doctor, an english lady, who has had success getting breech babies turned right using non-invasive traditional method. if you;d lke the contact info, pm me.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

I had a c-section too because my baby was breech. My doctor taught me some exercise to help the baby to turn but it didn't work. After I had the c-section, I realised that it was not as scary as I thought. We got to choose a date that was convenient to us. We planned and got everything ready before we went to hospital on that morning. I was quite relaxed and was awared of what was happening in the operation hall. In fact, I was quite happy chatting with the doctor and my husband during the c-section (my husband was more nervous than me) I didn't feel any pain at all during the operation and was managed to hold my baby immediately. After about half an hour or so, I was allowed to breastfeed my baby. I only suffered from the pain a few hours later. Now, I still feel the pain if I pressed the scar. My husband said it is the most beautiful scar in the world :) Besides, I can show the scar to my baby one day.

At the beginning, I felt very bad for not having the natural delivery. I felt like I am not a good mother. However, my husband said, our baby has chosen not to turn. It will be very dangerous to turn her. Besides, I managed to breastfeed her and looked after her right after the c-section. He said that I am a good mother because I am looking after her so well which is more important. Now, my baby is 7 months old. She is happy and started to crawl by the end of 5 month!

Don't worry about the c-section. You are a good mother!

yca

Hi Wee Kean, thank you so much for your encouragement and sharing of your experience. I'm sure you are a wonderful mother.

I went to the hospital yesterday. They did an ultrasound scan for me and the doctor also discuss the options with me. Since my baby is already quite big (over 4kg while I'm 37 wks pregnan), my husband and I have decided to go for a scheduled c-section instead. It is not an easy decision but we want to bring our baby to this world safely. We didn't expect our baby will come so soon but we are all excited about it. I think there is no right or wrong way to give birth but we can only try our best to choose the safest way to do so. I wish that the c-section will go well and I can recover from it soon.

Again, thank you for your support. I will try my best to be a good mother like you.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

All the best to you! :) Let me know if you need any help - [email protected]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12