Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

36 wks pregnant but baby still at breech position, is ECV a good option?

yca
    yca is offline Registered User

Unhappy 36 wks pregnant but baby still at breech position, is ECV a good option?

I'm 36 wks 4 days pregnant now but my baby is still at breech position. My OB suggests that I can try having an ECV (External cephalic version) done to see if they can turn the baby to vertex position. If I decided to have the procedure done, I will have to go to the hospital on Monday when I will be 37 wks pregnant by then.

As for my husband, he prefers to have a scheduled c-section done instead because he thinks it is the safest way for myself and our baby. However I also understand that natural birth is indeed the best for both the mother and the baby. This is our first baby and I have never been admitted into a hospital before. Hence the idea of having a c-section is quite scary and overwhelming to me.

I am still struggling if I should try to have an ECV done to see if they can turn my baby to the right position for a natural birth. I wonder if anyone here has the procedure done before. I'd appreciate if you can share your experience and knowledge with me. Thank you.

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi YCA,

Have a read through this thead on breech babies:

breech baby

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

yca
    Hi Rani, thanks for the info. Indeed, I have tried many of the alternative ways to try to turn my baby since week 34 but still no luck. Since the chance for a baby to turn after week 37 is quite low so it looks like the only option is to try having a ECV done. However there are risks involved and my husband may not want me to go for it... I wonder if there is anyone out there who has done ECV before can give me some advice...

Again, thank you for the information. Appreciate that.

mong1972 is offline Registered User
    Hi YCA

My 2nd child was a breech baby as well and my gynae also suggested ECV when I was 35 wks preggie. Being a Christian, my husband and I prayed about it and felt that if the child should want to turn, she will turn on her own accord. If not, we will opt for C-section for the safety of the child. My first child was delivered naturally, so we also have our reservations with C-section.

When my 2nd child was delivered via C-section, we were glad to know that we didn't go for the ECV cos' the cord was around her neck. Perhaps that was why she didn't turn at all.

Just my 2 cents worth mong
    Mong
    www.meganmacy.livejournal.com

Swoon is offline Banned
    Hi yca - I went through a very similar experience to you. Our baby was also stuck in the breech position, also our first, and I was really desperate to try everything to get him to turn. I went to the internet and tried all the different suggestions (ie. diving into a pool, moxa stick burning, etc.) and none of them worked. I was so fixated and determined to have a natural birth and was willing to do EVC as a last resort as I knew there were risks involved.

So, when none of the other things worked, I went to see a doctor who would do EVC here in HK and she did a scan and thought the chance of success would be 30%, so she preferred not to even try it. I was devastated since my last resort was exhausted! I had a very smooth pregnancy (no morning sickness, was wearing my regular jeans until 5th month, yoga, etc.) so the thought of c-section never crossed my mind. I felt terrible when my ob said that I had better try and accept that I will have a scheduled c-section.

well, now our son is a healthy and happy two-year old and when I think back to all the anxiety and pressure I had put on myself to evade the c-section, i feel i really made way too much out of it. It wasn't that bad after all, even though the recovery is longer than natural birth, and has become a pretty small factor in the whole scheme of things.

All i can focus on now is how to get him potty trained! Hope this helps. you can private message me if you want to know more.

yca
    Mong1972, thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I guess the reason why I am struggling is because my fear of having a c-section. It is like half of me understand that what will be will be and there is a reason for my baby to stay at breech position so just go with the flow and have a c-section scheduled. Another half of me think that if I don't take the chance to have a ECV, it is like I give up my last option for having a natural birth which I may feel regret in the future.

I will also pray for God's guidance and also keep talking to my baby. After all, I will not make any decision by myself. I understand my husband worries about me and our baby. Put myself into his shoes, I definitely should respect his decision as well.

Anyhow, thank you very much for your sharing. It means a lot to me.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

36 weeks is still early

Hi,

I mentioned in the previous thread that my son was breech and we scheduled an ECV, but he turned on his own, at 38 weeks.

Why not wait a couple more weeks. I've heard stories of women whose babies turned during labour.

Maybe you can make an appointment for an ECV at 38 weeks and have another check.

If that doesn't work - discuss the options w/ your husband and doctor.

Have you had other babies before? When I talked about options w/ my doctor, he agreed that if the baby stayed breech and the ECV didn't work, we could have a try at vaginal delivery, because I had already had my older child vaginally, so he knew I could squeeze one out ;)

Ask your doctor if he's ever delivered breech babies vaginally. At the time my doctor said "I've only delivered 17 babies breech" and when I mentioned that to my dute-date email group, many were surprised that a relatively young doctor had *any* experience with it.

Good luck.

PS - Turn, baby, turn!

Prego1 is offline Registered User
    A friend of mine delivered her baby 9 months ago with Dr. Ghosh. Her baby was breech also and she was ready to a C-section, but her Dr. advised her it would be a textbook breech delivery and if she was comfortable with it, he would prefer and advise a vaginal delivery.

I was suprised b/c in the US, all breech babies are delivered via C-section. I think its b/c insurance companies force doctors to do so for liability issues. Corporate America setting standards for our medical care! Therefore, most Drs. today are not even trained in breech vaginal deliveries.

Perhaps you want to ask your OB how many breech babies she/he delivered vaginally AND speak to her/his former vaginal breech delivery patients or perhaps you want to check with Dr. Ghosh. I've already decided if my baby stays in breech, I will try Dr. Ghosh to see if he can or will advise a vaginal breech delivery for me before deciding whether to go for a C-section.

I feel exactly the same way you do about C-sections and will try to avoid them if possible. But I know that at some point, it may be out of my control and I'm willing to accept that if it means a safe delivery for by baby and me.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast