Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Thumb sucking - how to stop it?

svasbt is offline Registered User

Thumb sucking - how to stop it?

Hello Everyone!
    Could you please share your experiences with me on how to make a toddler stop sucking on his thumb please? Anything you use to put on his thumb? any book you've read that helps?
    Thanks so much.

pragya is offline Registered User

Smile thumb sucking habit!!

Hi... i have seen one medicine in Mannings...for this habit. Try that. I seen it not tried...coz i did'nt need.

bye
    pragya

shaz is offline Banned
    My son was always a thumb sucker even now at the age of 4.5 years. He does it now only when he is tired. It doesn't really bother me as it comforts him. We did try a medicine at mannings when he was younger and sucked his thumb constantly but it made him feel really frustrated cause he couldn't do it and the taste was horrible so we stopped it. I wouldn't worry about it too much, let him does what makes him feel happy / comfoted.

bongcvaldez is offline Registered User
    Read from a book that thumb sucking is an important form of oral stimulation and self-soothing behavior. It says: The fact is, whether or not you like the idea, sucking is what babies do, and it's something we should encourage. Remember that this is one of the first ways in which your infant gains control over his body and his emotions. When he discovers that he has a thumb and that sucking on it can make him feel better, it gives him a fantastic sense of control and accomplishment. One's thumb is always on hand it can be put in and taken out at your baby's will. The author assures that your baby will give up his thumb when he's ready.

Thank you Everyone. Junior has been self-soothing himself to sleep since he was 3 1/2 months old, thanks to his thumb. And we have no problem with that. He only sucks on it when he wants to go to sleep, not the whole day through. We just worry that as his permanent teeth are forming, sucking on the thumb might create some problems for the teeth and their alignment later... We got Bite-X from Mannings but haven't tried that on him yet. It tastes really bitter, and we're not sure we would like to put him through that. Thanks Everyone.

hunhun is offline Registered User
    This may sound cruel, but I used to put a tinny winny bit of chillie sauce or curry sauce onto my son's thumb to stop him from sucking it. It worked wonders though.

PS Now my son is 2.5, and his favorite food is curry! Hee Hee!

hunhun:

We did think about Tabasco, but were afraid that he might rub his eyes with the chilli. How did you avoid that?

hunhun is offline Registered User
    Just watch him suck his thumb - once you see him go crazy, quickly wipe the chili off as you comfort him - hopefully he won't put two and two together!