Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dressmaker for bridesmaidy???

suzieq is offline Registered User

Dressmaker for bridesmaidy???

Moving to HK from Aus in mid July. Needing to get a bridesmaids dress made for wedding I will come back for in Sept.....debating whether I should get my dress made in Aus or in HK? Would do it now but am still feeding my baby and god knows what will happen after that all stops!! Can any one recommend a 'reasonable' dressmaker? Certainly do not need the best but needs to hold together for a pretty decent workout!! Is it possible to get something made for less than $HK1500...I already have the material.

Cheers

SQ

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Hi Suzie,

I have had a dress made in Central, near Pottinger Street. The reason I liked this dressmaker was that she had a lot of Western customers so I didn't feel like she only knew how to fit slim Asian women.

She certainly had made bridesmaids dresses before, judging from the photos round the place, and speaks good English.

I brought my own fabric and lining, and I had a basic calf-length straight dress made from chiffon. It cost about HK$600.

I presume it's ok to put her details on this forum? If not, administrators, feel free to delete and I can send you the details privately:

Ah Wai
    Ladies Tailor
    23 Stanley Street, 1/F
    Central District
    Hong Kong
    2524 6423 or 2450 4023

Hope that helps!

HKAussie

rani is offline Administrator
    HKAussie, recommendations are always welcome!

A friend from the US had an East meets West wedding a few years ok. And we went all across HK looking for tailors.

There's a tailor above Als Diner in LKF that is good. I think her name is Maria. Sorry I don't have her #. Plus there are 2 tailors in World Wide House as well on the 2/F that are quite good.

In the end, my friend found some pretty silk Thai sarongs and we just got simple silk tops made in Shenzen.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

suzieq is offline Registered User
    thanks guys.....presumably I could get it made in a month - unlike here where you need to book in advance?

ta

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Hi Suzie,

I think I had about a 3-week turn around on mine. But it would depend on how busy she was. Mine was in the leadup to Christmas.

HKAussie

Scroll to top