Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

bringing helper to Canada

Sandra & Evan is offline Registered User

bringing helper to Canada

Has anyone ever brought their helper to Canada? I'm wondering how easy it is to get a visa for her, or if it would just be a waste of time and money.

My husband and I will be traveling with our 19 month old son and 4 month old daughter. It would definitely make things easier if our helper were with us.

If anyone has had experience with this, please share. Thanks!

Sandra

carang is offline Registered User
    i have friends that have taken their helper a number of times with them back to canada for holidays. they didn't have any problems. make a trip to the consulate to ask what's needed.
    good luck!

rani is offline Administrator
    Sandra,

We know a family too that takes their helper home every summer. I think its easier than applying for a US visa.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    has anyone actually brought there helper back to canada permanently to live? we may move back and wonder how difficult it is for immigration.

thanks

carang is offline Registered User
    the friends that i spoke of want their helper to stay with them permanently (they have now moved back themselves), however their helper didn't have enough "points", so they are paying for her to do a GED. that will up her points and she should be able to immigrate after that.

hkkm is offline Registered User
    Better check out the employment rules carefully if you are thinking of taking your helper to Canada permanently. Even if you can get a visa for her, you will need to give her a Canadian-type salary and employment conditions, which are likely to be a lot higher relative to your salary than they are here. And once she gets there, what's to stop her from leaving you in the lurch?

Seb's Dad is offline Registered User
    we are taking our helper to canada with us this summer. it helps to have the tickets purchased when you apply, so you have provide exact dates. there was not a lot of paperwork to fill out, and the visa was completed within one week.

in regards to bringing a helper back to canada permanently:cara and hkkm have raised good points. to expand, your helper in canada will need a job description. she is either to be a nanny or a housekeeper, you cannot expect her to do both. if you do, you must pay her accordingly. she will be expected to be if not part of a union, but receiving a salary on par to what any other full time nanny would be receiving in canada.

apparently, there are many opportunities available to filipinas in canada, and if you are not giving them a salary that is on par to what their contemporaries are making, it is likely you could lose them. filipinas have an easier time getting their credentials recognised in canada than they do here, so many of them get positions in fields they have degrees and experience in, including hospitality and medicine, where they would also get paid more than a nanny does.

this is too long..sorry

seb's dad and tess