Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What do you bath the baby in?

hkaussie is offline Registered User

What do you bath the baby in?

Ok, this will sound like a very silly question....

but how do you bath your baby in Hong Kong? Our apartment is so small and we don't have a bath. I just can't picture where a bath will go, where it doesn't matter to have water slopping around.

When the baby is very little and can fit a baby bath, I imagine we'll bring the bath into the kitchen or on the shower floor. But doesn't the baby outgrow a little plastic bath pretty quickly? What then?

New mum-to-be!

HKAussie

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Hi HKAussie

In HK we have a bath, but in our house in Australia we only have showers. We STILL use the baby bath for our 2 year old - and she is a very tall 2 year old. She is quite happy to sit in it, splash and play with her toys.

You might find that by that age, your baby will be happy to use a shower. In any case, you can always take a newborn into the shower with you (lukewarm'ish water), a crawler will happily crawl around the floor of a shower and a walker will be quite amused by a shower, especially if you have one of those showerheads on a hose that you can squirt them with.

My daughter went through a phase where she HAD to come in the shower with me - even if she was fully clothed at the time. I don't think I showered alone for about 6 months !

Have fun !

Edited to add that you can buy a rubber mat from bumps to babes that sticks to the shower floor so they can't slip.

hunhun is offline Registered User
    My 2.5 years old son loves sitting in his baby bath playing with his various plastic toys. He also loves pouring water over himself with a pail, or bathing himself using a showerhead.
    I just sit and watch......quite good fun actually!!!

shalom is offline Registered User
    during my baby's first month, we just bathe him in a round flat pail that one usually use for washing laundry. by the second month, we started using baby bath. dont worry about the size because the baby bath comes in different sizes. some of my friends even bath their newborns in the kitchen sink.

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    My 2 year old is still using a baby bathtub, admittedly I'm using a bigger one than before.

hoping4b is offline Registered User
    I have a small apartment too and use a baby bath on the kitchen floor to wash my 11 month old. Bought a tub for $25 from Wanchai market. When not in use I store it in the adult bath tub and we just put it on the kitchen table whenever we need to use the shower. I think buying a tub is an essential.

Slee is offline Registered User
    I bought the biggest baby bath that WingOn sell (a square shaped Combi) and at 2 1/2 months my daughter was still bathing in it in the shower stall. We started with a Mothercare bath but she grew out of it very quickly.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hoping4b
    I have a small apartment too and use a baby bath on the kitchen floor to wash my 11 month old. Bought a tub for $25 from Wanchai market. When not in use I store it in the adult bath tub and we just put it on the kitchen table whenever we need to use the shower. I think buying a tub is an essential.
    We did something similar until the kids were about a year old. Then we started washing them in the regular tub (usually with mama or baba sitting with them).

Oh my, I see that the original poster's "baby" is 2 1/2. At that age, my daughter used the regular tub, just not very full. I would usually sit on the toilet w/ the lid closed and read a magazine while she played.

When my son was 2 1/2, my daughter was 4, so I would put them in the tub togther to play, while I read or kept an eye on things.
    Last edited by loupou; 06-09-2005 at 12:19 PM. Reason: wanted to add more