Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NYC -> HK: Need help finding good care

IAmEric is offline Registered User

NYC -> HK: Need help finding good care

Hello,

What a wonderful forum! I am so happy to have found this place.

My wife (who is a HK citizen) and I are expecting our first child at the end of August. We just moved to New York in January and poor Helen has been suffering along the way so far. It started with acute morning sickness. I had to take her to the ER twice for dehydration because she could not hold anything down for two days in a row (on two seperate occasions). The doctors kept telling us that she would get over it soon. First they said 12 weeks, then 14, then 15. By the 20th week they told us that in some rare instances, the morning sickness lasts the whole term.

Then at a detailed anatomical ultrasound appointment at week 20, we learned that she had complete placenta previa. Apparently she has a high risk of premature labor and hemorhaging. It is very scary. We learned that if she notices any bleeding, we need to rush her to the hospital right away. Sure enough, at week 23, as she went to the washroom, we noticed blood in the water. I rushed her to the ER again. Fortunately, it was an unrelated complication. Poor Helen has always suffered from severe constipation. The strain to go to the washroom poses a danger for the placenta previa. The blood turned out to be due to hemorhoids instead of the previa, but the doctor ordered her to stop work and get more bedrest (also prescibed some medicine for the constipation).

My job keeps me away long hours in Manhattan and if Helen was going to need more bedrest, we made a somewhat rash decision that she should go back to HK to stay with her mom and dad and the large extended family over there. They can take care of her a lot better than I can here by myself.

So far, the move to HK has been great for her. Her mom is pampering her like a baby (just what I was hoping for) and the rest of the family is being very helpful too (she is the youngest of 3 brothers and 3 sisters). Since she arrived, her morning sickness has subsided alot. Eating her mothers good cooking and the good weather has made a positive impact. She has been there for almost 3 weeks now. The only thing that we are struggling with now is finding some good prenatal care for her. Because of the placenta previa, we want to have an ultrasound every 2 weeks to monitor things (that is what her doctor in NYC prescribed before she left) in a modern facility with excellent doctors and nurses.

The location of her mom's house seems to make things difficult. She is now staying out in the Tin Shui Wai, northwest of Yuen Long in the New Territories. She has gone to the Tuen Mun public hospital and was not very pleased with the quality of care she received there. Is there a better prenatal care hospital not too far from Tin Shui Wai? I found the link to hospitals in the New Territories here, but I'm not sure which places might be better than the others. The most important things we are looking for is: 1.) good doctors/nurses, 2.) modern facilities, 3.) periodic ultrasounds every two weeks, and 4.) location.

Her sister lives in Siu Sai Wan in Chai Wan. I would be interested in good hospitals near either place. The tentative plan now is for her to stay in Tin Shui Wai until the due date gets closer, then move to Siu Sai Wan to stay with her sister to have the baby there. That might change though because she took the bus to Siu Sai Wan today and was miserable. She threw up all day and noticed some fluid leaked. I panicked when I heard that, but she assured me that it is ok now, but I still feel better if she saw a doctor knowledgable about complications associated with placenta previa. She might be limited with regard to travel.

There is a high chance Helen will need a C-section. In addition to the placenta previa, the baby is now in the breech position, which also makes it important for us to find good care.

Reading through other threads on this forum, I've found recommendations for

- Derek Lo
    - Philip Ho
    - Alex Doo
    - Milton Leung
    - Stevenson
    - Sally Ferguson
    - CP Lee
    - Terence Lao
    - Dawkins

Where are these doctors located? Where is Queen Mary? Queen Elizabeth? I noticed from other threads that CP Lee and Terence Lao are at Queen Mary High Risk Center. I've got a star down next to Philip Ho, who is apparently at Nicholson and Associates. Is that right? Where would that be? Alex Doo and Milton Leung are at the "Woman's Clinic". Where is that? Should we go public or private? Like I said, she is a HK citizen so public is an option. I just want the best care possible and am not too concerned about cost if we can have a healthy baby girl.

Sorry for such a long first post, but as you can imagine, with me being so far from my bb (my pet name for my wife) and my bb^2 (my pet name for our baby girl), I am panicking a lot these days and want to find the absolute best care possible for my wife and baby girl.

Best regards,
    Eric

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi Eric!

Welcome to GeoBaby and thanks for the kind words!

The majority of the Drs listed above are located in Central/Wanchai and are in private practise. As your case is pretty complicated it would be best if you delivered in a public hospital where they're prepared for emergencies and have neonatal facilities. The best hospital in your area is the Prince of Wales I think they have a High Risk unit as well. You will need a letter from a private Dr refering to the department.
    Last edited by rani; 05-30-2005 at 09:50 AM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

carang is offline Registered User
    prince of wales is in shatin which is closer to your M-I-L. the one colser to your sister-in-law would be pamela youde

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Eric,

There are eight major government hospitals in Hong Kong and each one has a special and intensive baby care unit.

These hospitals are:
    Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, HK
    Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, 3 Lok Man Road, Chai Wan, HK
    Queen Elizabeth Hospital, 30 Gascoigne Road, KLN
    United Christian Hospital, 130 Hip Wo Street, Kwun Tong, KLN
    Kwong Wah Hospital, 25 Waterloo Road, KLN
    Princess Margaret Hospital, 2-10 Princess Margaret Hospital Road, NT
    Prince of Wales Hospital, 30-32 Ngan Shing Street, Shatin, NT
    Tuen Mun Hospital, Tsing Chung Koon Road, Tuen Mun, NT

A full list of all government hospitals is at http://www.ha.org.hk/hesd/nsapi/?MIv...R%26Area%3dHNI

The nearest hospital to Tin Shui Wai is Tuen Mun Hospital and the nearest hospital to Chai Wan is Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital.

Generally the level of medical care in all the government hospitals is very good. The nursing care, especially if you don’t speak the local language, might level a bit to be desired.

Of the doctors you listed most deliver at:
    Canossa Hospital (Caritas), 1 Old Peak Road, HK
    Hong Kong Adventist Hospital, 40 Stubbs Road, HK
    Matilda & War Memorial Hospital, 41 Mount Kellett Road, The Peak, HK

A full list of private hospitals is at http://www.info.gov.hk/dh/useful/rph...hospital_e.htm

If you think that your baby might arrive earlier than 35 weeks it would be a good idea to check out the government hospitals even if you are planning to go private. None of the private hospitals have facilities for caring for premature babies born earlier than 35 weeks.

If a baby is born in a private hospital and they don’t have the facilities to cope then the baby will be transferred to the nearest government hospital with an intensive care unit. For the three private hospitals mentioned above this would be Queen Mary Hospital. In fact the Matilda Hospital has a private road which links the two hospitals for just such occasions.

However the prenatal care these days is very good and such occurrences are quite rare. Hope this information helps.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Hello,

Thank you very much for your responses. After some more research, it looks like Tuen Mun Hospital is most likely where she will have the baby. Does anyone have any experience with Tuen Mun? Do they have the experience and the modern facilities to handle a possible premature labor and emergency C-section? Otherwise, she may have to go to Prince of Wales, which would be quite a trek from northwest NT to Sha Tin. A more likely option would be to go to Chai Wan with the sister in law. How is Pamela Youde for dealing with premature labor and emergency C-sections? If you had to choose between Tuen Mun or Pamela Youde, which would you choose?

Hoping for the best, but planning for the worst.

Best regards,
    Eric

PS: I miss them like crazy!

shalom is offline Registered User
    dear eric,
    my obs is dr alex doo and he is excellent. unfortunately he is stationed at central and he operates in sanatorium, matilda and adventist hospital only. tuen mun is too far for him.

i know how much you miss them. my husband is british and he travel a lot too. i traveled back to malaysia at 34 weeks to be with my family to have the baby and my husband was not with me. in fact, he missed the birth of his son. but i know how much you misses your wife and trust me, everything will be fine and it's probably better for her to be with her family which in my case was very true. my mum took such good care of me and the baby, she wouldn't be able to do that if i have the baby in HK. so the sacrifice is definitely worth it. good luck!!

a_chan is offline Registered User
    Hi Eric,

I live in Siu Sai Wan and I go to Canossa Hospital (private section) when I give birth last year. Canossa is in mid-levels, but it takes less than 30 mins by taxi. I¡¦m having a C-section with my doctor, Dr. Macor Wan, which I find him very nice and professional too.

And if your wife want to go to public hospital, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital
    is within 5 mins of reach. And if you are lucky enough to have a private ward, it¡¦s just as nice as private section.

AC

Hello,

Just an update...

We had a real scare last night, but everything seems ok now. The baby had been moving nonstop since Helen was first able to feel movements, then suddenly, yesterday morning there were no movements at all for 3 hours. My first thought was, "Oh, she must be sleeping." How long do babies sleep anyway? Just to be sure, I pulled out the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It says that you should see a doctor right away if you do not feel any movements for more than an hour. There should be at least 10 movements in a 2 hour period. She went to a very small hospital without many facilities and all they could tell her was that the baby's heart was beating. That was a relief! She made an appointment for an ultrasound at Tuen Mun. Apparently, there is some festival in HK in the coming days and my father-in-law (an 80 year old %#[email protected]$ who doesn't even care that Helen is pregnant) convinced my mother-in-law to let Helen go to the hospital by herself so that the mother-in-law would be free to cook some special dish that takes all day long. He was worried that if she didn't cook the dish, the children would not given them any money (?!?!?!?). They lost Helen. I get a call this morning and my sister-in-law asks ME where Helen is?!?!? The hospital was shocked that her family let her come by herself in her condition (so was I!).

Thank god I just got off the phone with Helen and she and the baby are ok. I can also report that Tuen Mun is a very fine hospital. They took very good care of her and Helen was very impressed. That makes me feel sooooooooo much better because Tuen Mun is just 30 minutes from her mother's house. They want Helen to maybe stay there for the remainder (she is 28 weeks now), but she escaped to give me a call because she knew how worried I was. It is very reassuring knowing that Tuen Mun is so attentive and is so nearby.

Another piece of good news... The baby is now in the natural position. It was breech before. Maybe that explains why there is less movement? Before, there was definitely more than 10 movement per 2 hours. In fact, according to Helen, it was probably more like 10 movement in 30 minutes. The hospital ordered her to keep track of the movements and go back if the movements drop under 10 per 2 hours.

It is very emotional. I was crying like a baby myself 10 minutes ago when I heard that everything is ok.

What are your thoughts on her travelling back to the US? After this ordeal, I realize that I cannot rely on her family to take care of her as well as I thought I could. If something happened, I would never forgive them for letting her go to the hospital by herself. She is 28 weeks and the placenta previa seems to be much better now (only marginal), so maybe travelling is ok?

Thank you and best wishes to everyone,
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast