Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gestational Diabetes at QMH

HappyV is offline Registered User

Gestational Diabetes at QMH

Does anyone have any experience of delivery a baby through QMH, where the mother has Gestational Diabetes? I am particularly interested in hospital 'policy' when it comes to methods of delivery, and their ideas in regards to when a c-section may be neccessary. Any advice or stories most welcome!
    Last edited by rani; 05-31-2005 at 11:58 AM.

a mom is offline Registered User
    i'm high risk but for a different reason so i can't answer your questions. it may be worthwhile to make an appointment with the private high risk physicians there and ask them all the questions you need answered. i say private because if you go through the public you probably won't meet the senior physicians who can better answer questions until your 2nd or 3rd visit, which was my experience. after you get the answers you can switch to public if needed--the treatment is the same anyway, as are the doctors.

I am already a patient through the high risk clinic. The reason I posted, is that the doctors I am seeing are being generally evasive about many aspects of my treatment - as good as they are, they very much adopt a 'do as you are told, and don't ask too many questions.' approach.
    When I was diagnosed with GD, I was referred to the QMH dietician, who basically called me fat (even though I am not overweight in general, and have put on inly 16 pounds at 28 weeks) - and said for Western Women GD was mostly caused by a Western diet. She then urged me to eat lots of rice (despite it being a starch food which actually drives UP your BGL) and not to exercise too much. Thank God for the internet, all I would have taken all this at face value.
    I know in Australia that the public hospital try to advise GD women with bigger babies to have c-sections at 38 weeks. Yet here they are almost refusing to even consider it. I would like to avoid a c-section if possible, but if it considered safer for me and the baby, (because of the GD and other health complcations) then I would like to push for it.
    I have been diagnosed for nearly two weeks, but they are very slow about getting the proper monitoring going - for example, introducing insulin (if needed) - even just the basics of monitoring BGL.

So if there are any ex-GD mothers out there who have QMH stories, I would love to hear them......................

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Is there any chance you can go "home" to Australia to have your baby? Sounds like you have been given extremely damaging information and I'd have no faith in this system whatsoever. What else will they get wrong?

Having said that, HK has an excellent medical record - first class by world standards. Sounds like bedside manner, provision of information and understanding of western lifestyles in the public hospital system needs improvement.

As I type this, my (Chinese) secretary is sitting outside my office eating McD's for breakfast. I and all my friends NEVER eat McD's and yet they call it a Western Diet???????????? Get real.

I was told by my Drs nurse during my pregnancy that I was fat. At 20 weeks pregnant I had a BMI of 23. My normal BMI is 21. I'm tall, not fat, a healthy weight by anyone's measure. Stupid nurse. Still annoys me.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    A couple of years ago I was watching the tennis on the Cantonese channel. A female commentator called Venus Williams fat!

Some people in Hong Kong seem to have no understanding of the difference between fat and big.

a mom is offline Registered User
    hi, me again. wow. sorry to hear about the abysmal care you've been getting. i know what you mean about the do as you are told approach there. but i'm surprised the senior doctors aren't being more helpful. i am also consulting a private doctor to fill the gaps left by QM, is this an option for you? apparently its done often. well, i hope someone's able to be of help to you!! good luck.

I have been seeing a private OB as well as the doctors at QMH - and I have found this a godsend. I say her today, and she basically told me that the diet advice I had recieved was rubbish (as I had read elsewhere, and worked out myself based on by blood sugar levels over the last few days. The more I think about it, the more I am appalled that (a) she gave such bad/incorrect advise, and (b) that she had the audacity to call Western woman in general and myself in particular fat (by the way, if GD is caused in Western women by Western diets, why are 10% of HK women diagnosed with the condition?).
    So now I am hoping to control the levels through a sensible diet, and hopefully avoid insulin.

I am still interested to hear of any delivery stories of any GD mothers out there - oarticularly as to how the doctors tell the difference between a 'big' baby and a 'fat' or macrosomic baby?

UbeJam is offline Registered User

Smile wife got GD

Hi HappyV. Glad to hear that you got a better and sensible opinion from a diff o.b..

My wife Pam (i'm the official spokeperson), had GD diagnosed just before 30th week, i think. Up until that week, she had no problems with pregnancy - though her wieght gain is slightly on the higher side. Though there maybe a lot of reasons her getting GD (diet and medication - could be the oral medicine she's taking to control pre-term contraction, which is sugar based).

Anyways, we went as far as daily blood sugar monitoring and insulin injections (I did the injections - talk about being an involved father with Couvade Syndrome!).

Although the GD was overshadowed by hospitalization due to pre-term contractions (32nd and 35th weeks), we were concerned anyway that our baby would be born big. We agreed to do C-Section (in Manila) due to pre-term labor at 37th week, but our baby still was bigger than us when born (wife and I were six pounders when born - pretty normal for Filipinos). Sabine was almost 8 pounds. At first, OB had slight difficulty taking out the head from the cut she made (I filmed the delivery), and thought for a while she's struggling to do it! I think I saw Sabine's neck being stretched a little farther than normal!
    Anyways, She got a very good score (forgot the scoring standard pediatricians use for newborns for appearance,mobility, etc.) - though this was more of a concern from the muscle relaxant Pam was injected with to control her contractions the previous 2 weeks of C-Section.
    She's still slightly bigger than her peers of same age and race. Height diff from her cousin of age 4 is minimal (she's three). She's wearing clothes 1 or 2 sizes bigger than her age - clothes that I buy in Hong Kong. Development wise, she's doing well on motor/verbal and analytical skills - more sprightly than her girl cousins when they were at the same age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast