Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When baby has a fever

Histamin is offline Registered User

When baby has a fever

Does anyone know how to treat the baby's fever successfuly, I'm afraid she got flu that is more serious than common colds, her main symptoms are fever (little cough and runny rose sometimes). there is no possibility to get roseola as she'd done it already. Most worried things are fever lasts long time, I used conventional medicine and homeopathic medicine only when she is very tired, but the symptoms will back again.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi,
    If your baby has a consistent fever then I would advise that you took them to see a doctor. There maybe something more serious underlying the fever. In my son's case his fever and cold syptoms including a cough, turned out to be pneumonia and we spent a week in hospital. I thought it was just a bad cold, though now I take coughs alot more seriously. I don't want to be over dramatic, but I felt awful when I received my son's diagnosis. For the sake of a trip to the doctor, it is worth your peace of mind. The doctor may say it's nothing, then that's OK, but at least you'll know. Personally I don't think you can take risks with your child's health.

Jools

rads is offline Banned

Hi

My doc also told me one of the reasons for children getting a high fever is dehydration...so make sure her liquid intake is high.....but pls do go visit a doc....

Becareful of flu

My baby has recovered at last, although I took her to see a doctor, the doctor only said 'Bronchitis', I heard some of my friends got flu recently, so I think she was caught their flu. Becareful you will get flu even if this's humid weather.

amychukityi is offline Registered User

My 1.5 yr old girl started to have cough & running nose about 2 weeks ago. We did take her to see the doctor. When she started to turn better last week, she suddenly got fever from this Mon and the temperature gots up & down during these few days ranged from 100F to 103F. Doctor has given her some anti-biotic and ask my the girl to have a lung x-ray. Luckily her lungs are clear. It seems that the temperature has been lowered but I feel that she's still very hot. May I know usually how many days will the fever last?

However, my major concern is that she doesn't want to eat anything during these 2 days. She only takes 5-6 oz milk a day (she used to take 5-6 oz milk per meal) and a few bite of bread / food only but she's still quite active and looks ok. The nurse tells me that it's normal.

Another concern that my girl used to sleep very well at night but in these few nights, she'll suddenly scream & cry loudly for a long time. I know she might not feeling very good but I really don't know that whether it's caused by the blocking nose & high temperature and how can I help her.

Can the experienced mom give me some advises!!!!!!!

Amy

Hello, amy
    I also have My 10 month girl whom the fever was also very strange 2 weeks ago, she felt very good and her temperture almost brought down at evening, but next morning she's buring again,she repeated it few times.How did you treat her during she's getting ill? I don't know because it is related to using Homeopathic medicine for her first time or not, and then I worried I still using wrong one, I switched to allopathic medicine again, but lastly I gave her homeopathic one successfully, she feels very good and she will not have a fever again.
    I think it's better to treat children's ill naturally as possible, if you use too much drug for them, they will react very quickly and the problems will last for long time.
    I have 3 years boy too, he developed eczema it's started when he was 5 month old, and I put steroid cream on his skin for many times, the doctor said it doesn't harm if you use for short term, yes I used for short term but one disapper and new one comes up so I used a lot totally, when he was 1.5 years old he started to get bronchitis, and he repeated same symptoms many times.. I realize it's wrong way at last it's already late..
    so for my daughter do natural way as possible.

josoo is offline Registered User

Help my baby girl has a fever and I've taken her to the doctor already:crib . She's been on Tylenol for the past 24 hours, then her fever came down last night and we skipped it, she's burning again at 38 degrees this morning. She's back on Tylenol. When will this stop? She doesn't have any other signs of a cough, runny nose or a rash!! I feel a little helpless...

Sumei is offline Registered User

hi all,

sorry to hear all your little ones are going through such discomfort. As previously mentioned, if the fever is lasting for more than a 1-2 days, you should bring them to the doctor as a fever is a symptom of something else going wrong not the illness itself.

In terms of how long it can last, my son has been through high fevers lasting up to 5 days before it breaks (whenever he has a fever, it was never mild, always a 39 degree plus almost 40 degree fever!) so do prepare yourself.

In terms of food, fluid is the most important thing so give them whatever they can keep down - water, very diluted fruit juice with water, honey water etc, if they can keep down their milk that is good but it's not essential. In terms of food, the easier to digest the better (generally forget protein and anything with oil in it) - plain porridge, plain toast, water biscuits (no oil or butter), steamed pureed pear or apple.....

Another point, if you are sponging them down when they have a very high fever, do not use cold water (among other things it constricts the blood vessels causing a higher temp) but tepid water, the motion in itself cools the body down. Same for using a damp towel on their forehead or armpits etc, use tepid water.

good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast