Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Where to get best Ante-Natal Classes?

Moooi is offline Registered User

Where to get best Ante-Natal Classes?

Hi, I'm 6 months now and want to sign up for ante-natal class. When is best time to do them? I'll be travelling and back only in 7month, is it too late? I've heard Mathilda, Adventist and Annerley Midwives are good - how to tell which is best for me? Which course outline is most comprehensive? Can you give me feedback if you've done these classes at these places? Is it important is it to get Post-Natal care with a midwife visiting every week? I know Mathilda and Annerley offers those but Adventist? Thanks for any info!

terry is offline Registered User

Classes

Hi, I am currently 6 months pregnant and am attending ante natal classes (with my husband) at Annerly. Hulda (who takes our evening's) is fantastic and I cannot recommend her enough. We spend a good 2 hours each week, about 5 couples, going through her prepared material plus answering the millions of questions we all have. Give them a call or check out the website amidwife.com (I think), they really are great!

muriel is offline Registered User
    I have just finished the Matilda classes. The information and relaxed atmosphere was very good, but I also really liked the fact that as most people taking the classes were actually planning to give birth in the Matilda, they spent part of one class taking you through the hospital from where you will come to when you first go into labour, and then through each room explaining what everything is. Very helpful, down to the size of the baths in the delivery rooms etc so you know exactly what to expect when you come in. They also have one of the staff anaethetists come and answer questions and do a talk. I highly recommend the Matilda - both my husband and I got a lot out of it. But if you are planning to give birth elsewhere it may not be as relevant.

sobira is offline Registered User

Ante-/Postnatal Classes

I'd recommend Hulda, Annerley Midwifery. They used to run the classes at the Matilda too, but that might have changed? But Annerley is best.

Su Mei is offline Registered User
    Hi,

agreed with Muriel, we had our son at Matilda and took our prenatal classes there too - I must say that our Matilda experience was fantastic (great set up - the midwives and nurses are really good and very supportive, esp if you are a first time mum trying to breastfeed) and I'm definitely going to have #2 there again!! Maybe you should base your decision on where you are giving birth - I've heard the Adventist runs a good prenatal class too. And no, don't think at 7 months you are too late, I think actually that's the most ideal time.

MrsP is offline Registered User
    I have just had my baby at Matilda and can agree wholeheartedly that the treatment there is second to none and I can't wait to go back for no.2! However, in relation to the antenatal classes, we did ours up there but didn't think they were that great. That could have been for a variety of reasons and perhaps our expectations were too high and some of the questions we had weren't covered in the classes. My friends strongly recommended Janice Moreton at Byrnes & Hickman and I ended up having on one-on-one with her as I had missed the slot for her group classes. Janice was fab and answered all of my questions in a no-nonsense manner - to be fair to Matilda, I think it just depends on whether you like the style of the midwife taking the classes. And I agree, getting to see where you will give birth and the anaesthetists seminar were really good at Matilda.