Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

hospital bag

mammalicious is offline Registered User

hospital bag

stupid questionnnn

when is the best time to pack my hospital bag, and does the matilda provide pj's for me to where whilst in hospital (hopsital gown) or do i need to bring my own? also with regards to toiletries (shampoo/conditioner/soap) do i need to bring my own?

thanks!

Su Mei is offline Registered User
    hi,

Matilda is great - they (as of Jan 2005 at least when I was there) provide cotton nightgowns specially designed for breastfeeding, heavy duty sanitary napkins, disposable netted panties (useful as it doesn't dig into your c-section scar) and toiletries such as soap, shampoo, towels etc (although I packed my own bath and face toiletries). Even then you'll be surprised how many little bits and pieces there are to pack so it helps to pack as much as possible (I had packed my bags in week 36) and leave the bag/s with a list of unpacked items on top (things you can't pack early like ID cards, charged battery for the camera, snacks for hubby etc) which you can throw in when the time comes (my contractions came quick and fast starting out at 1 every 8 mins progressing on to 1 every 5 mins in 20 mins so I was glad I was organised). If your hubby is staying over, don't forget to pack a at least one set of clothes for him to show and change into. We watched Sex in the City DVDs for quite a few hours in the delivery suite so if watching DVDs is what relaxes you, remember to pack some. Also, whether in the delivery suite or in the operating room (I had an emergency c-section) they let you play your choice of music so I had my favourite yoga music playing in the background when I was being operated on!

a mom is offline Registered User
    woooooow, i sure hope i get to go to matilda! thaks for that fantastic glimpse into it. so far i've only been in public hospital. umm, a bit different!

MrsP is offline Registered User
    Tip if you are going to Matilda. I adored the place but the beds are really hard and I wished I had used my inflatable ring - not for the stitches but for the numb bum I got from sitting in bed for so long!!
    Another tip, although this applies anywhere: take an emery board if you are planning on breast feeding. If you need to unlatch your baby, you need to make sure you fingernails are short and tidy otherwise it can be uncomfortable if you are sticking your fingers in to baby's mouth and wriggling them around your already sensitive nipples.

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    wow thanks for the tip on the emery board, and also on packing set of clothes for hubby! will definately have to throw in my 6 ft under dvds as well!