Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to live for a new mom and a newborn?

PreggerC is offline Registered User

Hi - my husband will be working early and long hours at IFC2 and I'll be a stay at home mom. Our baby will be 1 mo. old when we move to HK this fall and I am just so torn as to where to live.

Here are what I am considering right now.

Discovery Bay is too far for me and we both get motion sickness, Central and Midlevels are not stroller friendly and I really need the mobility to get out and walk around w/ the baby. :-)

Taikoo - my parents used to live there for couple years and I am familiar with the neighborhood. I love the fact that it's all covered so when it's too hot and rainy it's comfortable. Subway is right downstairs and shopping center/grocery store is inside too. The only thing is safety - When my parents lived there it looked like the doorman was part time and it wasn't exactly a place for luxury buildings that we may be accustomed with.

Happy Valley - my local HK friends highly recommend this. Are there easy shopping for basics and restaurants around? Is it at least stroller friendly? Playground?? Transportation? - do I always have to take a taxi if we were to live in Happy Valley?

Any other place I should consider? I must confess that I really need an indoor shopping mall nearby .. Would love to hear what you all think. Thank you so much in advance!

PreggerC @ NYC

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi Pregger,

Happy Valley is nice. Well connected, buses, trams etc restaurants, there's an indoor playground.

You might want to consider The Belcher's in Pok Fu Lam. Great facilities for kids, indoor supermarket.

http://www.belcher.com.hk/

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Su Mei is offline Registered User
    hi PreggerC,

like you, I love my walks and unfortunately live on a hilly part on HK island so I have to drive to walk with my baby son!

Agreed with Rani that Belchers is a great place - it is very fast for your hubby to get to work in the morning (5-10 min cab ride into central, or buses or minibuses) and has great facilities (indoor and outdoor swimming pool, useful in winter) including a Wellcome Super in the attached shopping mall, perfect if you don't drive.

Another good location would be Stanley - you could walk the neighbourhood easily with the stroller and shops/groceries are very convenient. Only snag would be the longer travel time into central for your hubby (35-40 mins on the bus) - having said that, alot of working mums and dads are hugely productive on the bus/cab ride into central - reading the papers/checking emails etc. Air on the southside is also much better, esp for the little one.

pragya is offline Registered User

HI, The only thing is these places lacks......................MTR!!!!!!!

Just a suggestion.

pragya

PreggerC is offline Registered User

Thanks!

Thanks all for your inputs!

I took a look at Belcher's website - is it for sale only? We don't know yet how long we'll be in HK so are only looking at rental properties. Just wondering if there are rental units and if you happen to know what the price range would be for a 2 br 1000 s.f. apt?

Thanks!!

rani is offline Administrator
    There are lots of flats for rent at the Belcher's. Take a look at

www.gohome.com.hk

For a 1000 sq ft, prices start at $22-24K

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Preggerc,
    I would recommend Hong Kong Parkview. I don't know if you've ever heard this place before, but I think here is so convenient. We've got shuttle bus that runs every 15 mins (stops at wanchai-admiralty-central), Park'N'shop market (no need to drive), always have taxis available, huge swimming pool, and really nice garden. Also, if you're the club memeber you can have access to more facilities. I have a 7 months dd, i bring her to children's playroom everyday and also she loves to have a walk at the garden downstairs. Overall, I really like Parkview except sometimes it gets very humid & wet.

www.hongkongparkview.com

HTH

carang is offline Registered User
    then again...all of hk gets hot, humid and wet, no? the differences are negligible most of the time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast